General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I am running a small business of 15 people. I am running…

I am running a small...
I am running a small business of 15 people. I am running into a very serious issue with some of my employees regarding attendance.
My main question is, how do companies handle employees calling in sick (or whatever other "legitimate" reason they have)?
I have one employee that just had a child and the child was diagnosed with some disease that only gives her 3-5 years to live.
Ever since then, that employee calls out 1-2 days a week to go to the hospital or take care of her.
I feel terrible and feel like evil old scrooge McDuck but... I don't understand how I can run a business with employees only working 2/3 of the time or less. It would be one thing too if this was for a short period of time, but it's already been many months and seems like it could go on for many years.
How do larger (or I guess just more intelligent?) companies operate with this kind of stuff?
Also - is there anything online that has a legitimate source for referencing issues like this? Like a standard for how businesses operate in regards ***** ***** like this? Or at least a standard for what the law requires?
I currently run the business out of California and have 15 employees including myself in total.
I don't meant to sound like the evil business man that doesn't give his employees any time off (I actually give 3 weeks of PTO to this particular employee), but just don't understand how someone can practically run a business with employees regularly calling out 1-2 days a week.
Thanks so much in advance for any help!
1/13/2018
Michael
Michael, Librarian

Good evening,

I feel first for the employee who is dealing with something no parent should have to deal with. Also I understand and feel for you as a supervisor and boss as you have a business to run with others requiring you attention and services.

While I know there are legal situations in this matter that our legal experts can address, went ahead to see about what I could locate online that might help in finding an answer to this situation.

1. HR information site that addresses things like office policies and a well written job description

https://www.cedrsolutions.com/when-illness-interferes-employer-options-for-protecting-productivity/

2. Checking with our legal experts on if this would apply to your business

https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/articles/2017-06-26/6-things-employees-should-know-about-the-family-and-medical-leave-act

3. Options to consider to find a remedy

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/deal-employees-call-sick-weekly-15847.html

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I appreciate the direction towards sources but was also looking for a specific answer to the question. I have to admit that I was really looking for somebody with an MBA or ran a business and had experience? I don't mean to screw you over here and will rate you later on today and get you paid, but you didn't actual answer my questions so much as googled sources and pointed me towards them...

Thank you for getting back to me on your thoughts about the question being asked. For 18 years I have been a project manager with 10 members of my staff reporting to me. While each situation is different with any business, thought first that offering information that would get you in a thought pattern of what you might be able to do in the situation at hand.

With my staff, written rules of understanding of what is required of them as well as being late or not coming into work. Each have this spelled out so there would not be a misunderstanding if something happen where a particular employee called out. While I referenced this in the link(s) provided above, your specific issue might also be addressed by a legal expert as your problem could fall under a leave act offered to employees.

I hope that the information I provided above is found a bit helpful as it has for my project management work with my employees.

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael, Librarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much, that helps!

Have a good evening.

Michael

Michael
Michael
Michael, Librarian