General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

Could you do another research for me? :)

For ***** ***** only: Hi Mary...
For ***** ***** only:
Hi Mary, could you do another research for me? :)
12/27/2017
Josie-Mod
Josie-Mod, Moderator
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.
Thank you moderator, I'll wait for ***** ***** only. :)
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant

Hi, this is Mary. Thank you for asking for me. I'll be in and out today, so not always at my desk, but I can get back to you within a few hours. What is your question?

Hi there Mary. I wonder if you can find landlord tenant attorneys in NYC that are familiar with airbnb cases, which means that they are familiar with cases of people who have subletted apartments on websites like airbnb. This is a new segment and not a lot of landlord tenand lwyers are familiar with it

Right, there seems to be a lot of confusion about what is permissible, and not just in NYC. Basically, any multi-family building cannot legally offer AirBNB's unless the host is present during the rental. So if a NYC resident is jetting off to Europe for three months, they could conceivably sub-lease (depending on their building rules) but they cannot get around sublease rules by offering a stay on AirBNB and saying the person is just a 'guest'.

I am finding quite a few listings for high-profile attorneys who specialize in fighting against AirBNB and similar models in general as being detrimental to NY's hotel industry, but no listings for attorneys who defend online clients who may have gotten gipped by listings. I think most of them just shrug that off as "buyer beware". I'm not sure which camp you're looking for, so if you could be more specific that would help.

More general info:

How to: ***** ***** New York City

How to Host on Airbnb Legally

The above two articles are written for hosts, but I recommend you read or scan them (they're short) to familiarize yourself with what is legal (or not) so you are not hoodwinked by AirBNB offers.

This article is an interview with an experienced Tenancy/AirBNB attorney in San Francisco, but the information is pertinent to other large cities as well, and a useful quick read.

If you are looking for offerings through AirBNB, keep in mind that over 61% of the listings are illegal. Your host should provide evidence that the BNB:

* Has a registered business license for its municipality

* Does not conflict with local tenant codes

* Is a private one or two-family residence

* If an apartment or condo, that it has a written letter of permission from the owner, or that BNB offerings are part of the tenancy contract

* Has plenty of positive reviews

Let me know if you need more specific information. :)

Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant