General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

List 7 signs that an animal may exhibit if they are in pain.

Customer Question
List 7 signs that...
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: General
12/23/2017
Expert: Mary Baker, Consultant replied 6 months ago
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'd be very pleased to help you with this query.

Are you thinking of a particular type of animal? Mammalian, I assume. But narrowing the species down would be helpful.

Meanwhile, I already know of a few of these signs and I research the rest!

Dog

Perfect, thanks.

Here are some signs to watch for!

1. Limping
  2. Whining -- or any other sound that you might associate with an animal's discomfort, like low growling.
  3. Panting -- can signal extreme pain and discomfort, or dehydration from fever / inflammation / infection
  4. Excessive grooming -- licking a paw, genital or other area can signal an injury which may or may not be visible. Invisible injuries might include a crushed bone, torn ligament or muscle, splinter or glass shard, or a burned paw from hot pavement.
  5. Chewing -- chewing along the back, sides, and stomach can indicate extreme suffering from rampant flea or tick infestations, or "hot spots" which occur in dogs with sensitive skin. Chewing at the base of the tail may indicate worms, which can lead to all kinds of gastrointestinal discomfort and pain. A narrowing of the tail base and loss of fur at the base of the tail are also an indication of worms.
  6. Lethargy -- an animal in pain from fever, internal injuries, heartworm, disease, or chronic conditions like arthritis will often lose energy and interest in moving about. Part of that is due to the body's struggle to keep white and red blood cell counts up, which may consume a lot of the animal's strength. But it may also have to do with pain and constriction. Fleas and ticks also drain a host of a surprising amount of blood volume. If you wash your dog and see a lot of dark reddish-brown dirt coming off, that is your pet's blood supply washing away.
  7. Growling -- if an animal growls, yelps or whimpers when you touch or stroke a certain part of the body, then it's a sure sign that your animal feels discomfort there.
  8. Dry nose or yellow/bloodshot eyes -- some animals are naturally prone to these conditions, but in an animal that normally has white eyes and a wet nose, these symptoms can signal a fever or inflammation.

Feel free to share any symptoms you are concerned about. I am not a veterinarian, but I am an experienced dog owner, and perhaps I can steer you to the specific information you need.