General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

Can I use a portrait for a newspaper announcement? HP

Customer Question
Can I use a...

Can I use a portrait for a newspaper announcement?

Expert's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

HP A8-7410/8GB/1TB

Expert's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

I guess I am in the wrong dept. I want to know if a portrait can be used in a newspaper to announce a 90th birthday.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: General
12/8/2017
Expert: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. Whose portrait is it?

Expert: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago

Is it a family member, friend, actor/public person?

Family member
Expert: Olivia Kent,
 replied 7 months ago

Since I assume you're not using it in any disparaging way, I'm going to assume that your family member will be pleased as opposed to mad if you use his/her photo, right? If that's the case there's no reason you can't use it. In theory you'd want to ask their permission to use it but in cases like this obviously people frequently don't.