General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

Will it remove iodine from countertops?

Customer Question
Will it remove iodine from countertops?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: General
I have iodine stains on my bathroom countertop. How can I remove these?
12/3/2017
Expert: Cher, Educator-40+ yrs replied 7 months ago
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

What material is your bathroom countertop made of?

Thank you

You're most welcome!

I'm working on your answer now and thanks for the photo and your helpful reply.

Hi again, Tony and thanks for your patience.

You can use ascorbic acid powder (Vitamin C powder found in any pharmacy or natural foods store) mixed with water, to get the iodine stain out of a formica countertop. Buy the smallest amount of ascorbic acid powder, as you won't need much.

Mix the ascorbic acid with water, to make a paste and rub that onto the iodine stain. Let it sit for about a half an hour. Then wipe with a wet paper towel to remove the ascorbic acid and the stain should be gone. Don't use a Magic Eraser or anything abrasive, as it will scratch the formica surface.

If you're not sure the surface of the countertop is formica and it's some sort of stone, do nothing and call in a professional to clean it.

I hope this helps!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher