General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I am going through very rough circumstnces in my personal…

I am going through...

I am going through very rough circumstnces in my personal life which i do not want to disclose to my office people.My cicumstances forced me to visit my country and i did not bring the gifts for my supervisors and lied that i lost my luggage. my boss did not like that. itis obvious from his behavior.

Expert's Assistant: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Etiquette Expert should be aware of?

Is it a must to bring gifts when return from my vacation?

11/17/2017
Michael
Michael, Librarian

Good afternoon,

Sorry that you are dealing with difficulties in your personal life as that should be the thing that you need to take care of at this time in your life. Allowing for travel to take care of things is good and glad that your work allowed for travel.

There is nothing at all that tells that someone should bring back something from a vacation. Vacation time is earned and used by yourself to relax as well as to take care of things such as what you did on this trip. There was no need for any information to be given to co-workers as your time is personal and only if you feel to share that they can find out what is going on in your life.

As to bringing back a gift, no need as only if you felt that you wanted to bring back something that it is ok. There is no written rule that a gift has to be brought back for any time off from work.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

i know sir legally it is not necessary to bring gifts but i am hopeful that my problems will be solved in next 6 months and at that time i will share my relief by giving small party at work ( for 22 co workers and supervisors)
i do have earned sufficient days of vacation time in order to use that i might have to tell them a lie so how if they figure out that i am lying.
phone is not good for me as i am hearing deficit and my hearing aids are not phone compatible. Because i can not afford very expensive and good performance aids

Putting together such a party is a wonderful idea as it allows thanks for understanding of you dealing with internal issues and to celebrate with a positive outcome with co-workers.

I would not worry that they might be thinking that a lie is happening as just worry about yourself and take care of things at your end. Continue to perform in a professional way at work and allow for the party to celebrate and thank co-workers for a good environment to work at.

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael, Librarian
again it is not a must to give reason to use my earned time. but it is a "custom that on asking we do tell the reason of taking days off
ok i got your answer and i am satisfied with it sir, every thing we discussed is confidential, right?
thanks or your time and guidance.

Nothing will be shared with anybody as our conversation stays here on our site.

I would not worry about letting your supervisors know of your leave as it asked in the future, let them know this is for personal reasons. Nothing more needs to be said.

Hoping the situation you are dealing with ends soon and that the party is enjoyed by everyone.

Take care,

Michael