General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

In the book titled "Pride And Prejudice" by Austen, what…

In the book titled "Pride...
In the book titled "Pride And Prejudice" by Jane Austen, what were the occupations of the characters named Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy, or were they just heirs? Thank you.
11/17/2017
Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley are both gentlemen, which means they lived off of inherited family wealth. When the book refers to Mr. Darcy's ten thousand pounds a year, that's rent money he gets from tenants living on land owned by his family. That's also how Bingley would have gotten his income. They would have certain responsibilities as the land owners, but not a "job" as such.

Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member