General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Canning/Gardening: I put some of my excessive garden

Canning/Gardening:I put some of my...
Canning/Gardening:I put some of my excessive garden tomatoes in a fridge that is too cold even at it's lowest setting, so they ended up freezing. I know they can still be used to can sauces, but can I still can them halved or whole after being frozen? Or is that not recommended?
10/13/2017
Martin, Engineer

Hi. i don't think it would work well. It require very low liquid variety to do whole and the freezing will soften them so much that they will be hard to peel (even just the refrigerator can soften them too much). If you want to try i would let them unfreeze floating in water to minimize the manipulation. I would also keep the peel, just spike them with a knife to let the vapor out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you please take a look at this? It's only three minutes long. Starting at about 1:15 minutes seems to show the opposite of what you said about the peels being hard to peel, etc.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnfaJk6v0xEThanks!

sure, let me some time to get the video.

Well, she probably have tomatos variety that are not too juicy (those are the best for making paste). Most i see cultivating tomatoes mainly grow super juicy onces. So, the more meaty the best they will survive the freezer.

As for her final result, she won't win any Michelin star for the end result :) Sure they are whole but i was expecting you to have them in lot more physical integrity than that. Keeping the skin would help in that (the texture change added by the peel is let as a matter of taste)

Also, about a little trick she does not mention is that if you boil them for the skin, you need to do it for a short period and then put them back in very cold water to stop the cooking that continue (even if you let them in free air because of thermal mass). Because if not it will make them even more mushy than needed and cumbersone to peel (you will also have more waste glued to the peel in paste form). When i do them (also work for prunes) i always do just a few at a time because just the time it take pulling them all out of the boiling water is too long, two at a time is about right.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Martin,I had a variety of tomatoes this year, from beef masters, to romas, to cherry and grape tomatoes. Some of them were quite meaty, but I think I am going to err on the side of caution since I let them thaw overnight and didn't get to canning them right away after they thawed. I will just have to eat what we can raw and dispose of the rest. :( It was certainly a learning experience. Next year I will know which tomato plants produce so much and which ones not as much and be more prepared.I have no idea what condition her tomatoes were in before freezing them, but mine were in great shape.I also agree with you kn your whole last paragraph about doing only a couple at a time for less than a minute and rinsing them under cold water right away to stop them from becoming mushy.I didn't know that leaving the peels on was an option, thanks for letting me know. I thought peels HAD to come off even after you boil and rinse them before canning. Or did I misunderstand?For future reference, is it possible to can green tomatoes, those that have not ripened? I've never tried it but just curious? I want to at least tried a fried green tomato sandwich since I watched a movie called Fried Green Tomatoes. Sounds interesting.Thanks.

You can still can them without problem, they will just be more of a paste appearance. You can still use lot of it for spagetti sauce. Getting froze will not make them degrade like fozen banana, collor will be maintained.

Peeling is something i do for things i want to reduce that have more tannin in the peel as when i do prune jam for example it taste more bitter if you keep the peel. For tomatoe it does not make any difference to me. It can make a smoother paste that said without the peel.

The peel also have nothing to do with conservation. Tomato being a fruit, it is acid and as such is easy to keep even if just made with on oven, no need for autoclave (pressure cooker) to prevent botulism.

Yes you can can them green, in fact they will be even more acid that way. In Canada, and specially in Quebec, many do green ketchup that is great with meat. I usually like to make things from the fresh stuff to the final product in one go so i don't have to cook them one time more for nothing. So, i can take a glass jar of sauce that i sealed and have a quick spagetti in less than 10 mins.

To space out the production of tomatoes you can plant some more in sun than the others, but yes they can produce a lot. You might also look into making juice but that is something i have yet to totally master because if you break the cells the yellow liquid in them separate. They have special process in the industry that i have yet to equal :) The good thing with tomato juice is that you can pass a lot of less good looking vegetable in the harvest that way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When you say from the fresh stuff, you mean for convenience of eating? But if I wanted to make green ketchup for example, that wouldn't have to be cooked again after canning them green, correct?Thanks! Do you know how canning things green differs from when it's ripe, as far as procedure or processing time. Is it being more acidic a good thing?I just started using the pressure canner since it takes a lot less time than water canning, but do you think it makes a difference in taste or texture between those two methods of canning?Thanks again!

"When you say from the fresh stuff, you mean for convenience of eating?"
Yes

"that wouldn't have to be cooked again after canning them green, correct?"
correct

As for procedure it is the same. Just make sure they are green in a state that they would eventually ripe if you let them time to once removed from the plant. If you cook them green too early (not develloped enough) it will not be very tasty and will take a long time to cook.

The reason why acidic is important is that it prevent development of a particular bacteria if heat did not got it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism
Vegetable and meat are recommended to be done with a pressure cooker because it can heat to a higher temperature and kill all bacteria.

As for the difference, it depend a lot of the material you start with, but in general you should keep more nutritive value with the pressure cooker because it take less time to do it, so less degradation by heat. To have the best texture of liquid or near liquid product, industrial process have what they call flash pasteurization https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_pasteurization

If you are fine using a pressure cooker and have a good and safe one, then use that, it have no real downside, you greatly increase the flavor and nutrition, it take less time, reduce the bad luck of a bad can and take less energy.

Martin, Engineer
Martin, Engineer