General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I WOULD LIKE TO GET ANSWERS FROM AN INTERIOR DESIGN PERSON

IF THAT IS AVAILABLE.I just...
I WOULD LIKE TO GET ANSWERS FROM AN INTERIOR DESIGN PERSON IF THAT IS AVAILABLE.I just bought a house. The interior of the house is very dark.The walls are dark and the rooms are fairly small, even the living room. One goal of mine is to add value to the house on a tight budget so I can sell at a good profit next year. So I want to paint and put new flooring in the house so I have a few questions about thisI want to create a very open, airy, and clean atmosphere in the home. I would like to go with a beach type theme in the living room using perhaps powder blues and white and maybe an accent of royal blue here and there.My first question is how should I paint the living room walls as far as color goes? Should I do one wall in a light blue and the rest white? Should I paint all the walls white? I saw a picture of a living room in a magazine or some place where the ceiling was painted in a light blue and the walls were white. Also,.In the photo I saw, the ceiling had some decorative molding that remained white so part of the ceiling was blue part of it was white. I like that look but not sure it would work in this situation.. I am open to any suggestions please.I am also open to other color scheme suggestions, but I really like the color blue it is probably my favorite color. But the most important thing to me is that the living room (And the rest of the house) looks very open and airy like a beach house.Currently the home has large tile flooring in the living room and the hallways, each bedroom has carpeting in it. The carpeting that is in there now is fairly dirty and stained so I want to remove it. I would like to put wood flooring in the house. I have noticed that some people have carpeting in the bedrooms and hardwood floors in the rest of the house. Other people have hardwood floors all through the house including the bedroom. I live in Southern California so it is fairly warm most of the time however, where I live it gets really cold during the winter. How do I decide which one is best, ***** ***** throughout or with carpet in the bedrooms? Which option would add the most value to the house? What about the kitchen?I have a question about the flooring itself. I believe there are three different kinds of flooring. I believe some of the names are ***** ***** etc…. I really don't know what they are called. But I would like to know which kind of flooring would be best for me keeping in mind that money is a factor. Also I would like to know what color I should go with for the flooring, keeping in mind the open airy look that I am going for.I know this is a lot of information to digest, but I am a single lady, widowed recently, and I really need as much help as I can get. Please know how much I appreciate your time and effort regarding my questions. Thank you in advance and I look forward to your reply.
10/11/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ........I am not an intertior designer but I am a contractor that has seen many interiors and I believe I can help ...........if you still would like a designer let me know and I will opt out................if you would like to continue.........would you happen to know what is underneath the rugs now ?...........is it a hardwood oak?..........you can see by going to a corner of the room and lifting it up off the tackless with a pair of pliers ....then pull up the padding some to see ..........please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't think there is wood under the carpet. The house was built in 1998. I believe there is concrete underneath, but I am not sure and I don't have access to the house yet.
If you could, answer what you can, if not please pass it along to a designer please. I have done some research on the flooring and I am leaning toward laminate because I want: cheap, scratch proof (2 dogs) and something that can be used in kitchen and by the fireplace.....am I on the right path here????

sure you can use laminate floor anywhere over a concrete slab would work it's optimum best........... but I would not use it in the kitchen ...........you would want something very durable...like ceramic tile .............laminate flooring will track with dining chairs ...........even ones with wheels will make grooves..............well I will opt out for you but if you need me again for anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

eddie22Island

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

Frankly, the best way to make the home feel open and airy is to remove some walls, but that can get expensive.

As for paints, I would not paint the ceiling blue if you are hoping to sell again fairly quickly. That can look quite charming, but it isn't usually something the average home buyer is looking for. I would go with white or very pale gray walls throughout the house with bright white ceilings and trim. You can bring in your blues with inexpensive artwork, vases, throw pillows, driftwood, seashells, throw rugs, etc. You will have the "feel" of beachy cottage without forcing the home buyer into that look.

Laminate is a good choice for floors, and won't break the bank. It comes in prices from $1-5 per square foot. My neighbors have had it (theirs was just over $1.50 per square foot.) in their home, including the kitchen for about 5 years now, and it is holding up beautifully to 2 small children and 2 German shepherds. I would choose a lighter color such as a light oak rather than a mahogany, cherry, walnut or other darker hue. And make sure you get one for heavy traffic that is water resistant. The flooring dealer will be able to direct you to the exact type you need depending on what is under the current flooring. Most can be installed over concrete.

Alternately, you could use tile in the kitchen and bath. I would personally not put laminate in a bathroom. There is just too much water.

Most people today prefer not to have carpeting anywhere in the house. Laminate would most likely be less expensive than any carpeting you could buy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THANK YOU!! You are awesome. You answered all my questions very directly and even stated why the choices are the best!Believe it or not, it is so difficult to get one of the "experts" to give good, thorough, knowlegable and direct answers. Some even put in links to a website as an answer! You are my absolute favorite expert. I do hope that I will be able to contact you again. I just got the keys to the house about an hour ago and I am sure that I will need more direction and more questions answered with regards ***** ***** house.I do have a few more questions. I don't know if you can see what the previous expert had told me, if you can look at it please. He said that the laminate flooring isn't good because; quoting:"sure you can use laminate floor anywhere over a concrete slab would work it's optimum best........... but I would not use it in the kitchen ...........you would want something very durable...like ceramic tile .............laminate flooring will track with dining chairs ...........even ones with wheels will make grooves"is that correct?Currently I believe there is tile in the bathrooms. I have no idea what kind it is. The tiles are large and ugly.
I'm not sure what is in the kitchen.Last question (for now..LOL) Is there one retailer that is known for good prices and service for the flooring? I am in So. California. Costco also does flooring, as well as Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. I would appreciate your recommendations.Again...thank you so very much. I feel so much better about all this now, thank you for steering me in the right direction.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You requested that I rate you, but there are still a few questions on the table in my reply, see previous post please....
I don't think I should rate you until this is complete..

The rating request is an automatically generated one that you can ignore until we are finished. Or you can go ahead and rate, and I will continue until you are satisfied that all the question has been fully answered.

Cheap laminate isn't a good choice, and once upon a time, none of it was terribly good. There have been lots of improvements over the years though. If money weren't tight, I would choose hardwood for my "forever home," but you mentioned that you were going to flip this one in a year or two, so the investment doesn't make a lot of sense for the short term (5-8 years).

Home Dept or Lowe's are both good for flooring. In my area you can order case lots of flooring from Costco but you're on your own to find a good contractor to install it. I don't know if that is the case in southern Cali or not. Meanwhile, Lowes or Home Depot will use pre-screened installation contractors and stand behind the work. If you have a good contractor, then use him (or her), but if you don't have someone with a good reputation you can't go wrong with the big box stores.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if not laminate flooring what would be the next choice? Also, I have decided to have flooring throughout the house, no carpet. I willl need something that will stand up in the kitchen, by the stove, by the fireplace and in bathrooms.thank you very much for your help.

The next up from laminate would be engineered hardwood which is layers of wood in opposite directions making it harder. For very high traffic areas, there is also acrylic impregnated wood grain which is used even in malls and restaurants. Next up would be solid hardwood.

If these answers have helped with your decorating, I wold appreciate a positive rating so I am paid for my answer.

Thanks,

Schuyler

~

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for all your help. I hope to consult with you again soon.
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst