General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I have a silver plated ring from the 60's. There's a whitish…

Customer Question
I have a silver plated...
I have a silver plated ring from the 60's. There's a whitish green corrosion all over it. What can dissolve this the best?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: General
10/5/2017
Expert: A. Schuyler, Research Analyst replied 10 months ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

Silver polish should take away the tarnish. However, unless it was heavily plated to begin with, the silver may also come off with a lot of rubbing. Silver itself doesn't usually corrode - in fact it is corrosion resistant - but the base metal under silverplate may if the thin layer of plating has worn off.