General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

This is very unique. I have what looks like a rock, but have…

Customer Question
This is very unique. I...
This is very unique. I have what looks like a rock, but have kept it around for 20 yrs because it was very heavy and I was curious. It cracked in half lastweek and is a beautiful silver , but, also, has a fossil like design inside, maybe a flower. It is about the size of a medium potato and weighs about 2 lbs. I can't send a pic now because my phone is broken but maybe my old camera will work if you want to see one.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: General
9/17/2017
Expert: Martin, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Martin, Engineer

Hi. I sure would like to look at a picture. Does it stain fingers if you run the silvery side?

I men if you rub, not "run" :)

No, it doesn't rub off neither the darker outside nor the silvery inside. I am trying to download
pics for you-no smart phone here! The battery is dead so that may be why it wouldn't download.
Am charging it now.

I can wait. By the way you should say upload instead of download as you send the pic instead of rceiving it.

Can't figure out how to send pics. Will try to email as I have in the past.

you can try wikisend.com if you want and post me the sharing link.

i received the email picture. They are small.

As it does not stain and because you mentioned it is heavy, we can rule out graphene formation.

It does not look like a typical fossile rock to me.

Perhaps it contain lot of metal. It look to have the expension formation patern of a volcanic rock formed underwater. Maybe the brownish compount is rust, dit you test it with a magnet to see if there is significant amount of iron?

It might also be a petrified wood knot:
http://geology.com/stories/13/petrified-wood/
those can be quite heavy if pyrite accumulate into them.

Might also be a meteorite. Those often produce a very heavy final fragment on earth because it need to be hard to not break on impact and it also have to endure hot temperature in atmosphere entry.

Where do I find a definitive answer?
Expert: Martin, Engineer replied 10 months ago

LIke you said, it seem unique, i can't say 100%. I can reffer you someone that might know for sure. Contact this email:***@******.*** and ask to foward the message to Pierre Bedard, Geologist.