General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I am going to have to move from one coast to another. I

haven't gotten any estimates from...
I am going to have to move from one coast to another. I haven't gotten any estimates from moving companies but I don't have anything of real sentimental value but I have a lot of stuff. I have several pieces of Real wood furniture and mattress with no bedframe a chaise lounge a microwave several box fans ,small lamp, a charcoal grill a few boxes of kitchenware A few boxes of clothing a few boxes of books a few boxes of documents and important things a few boxes of miscellaneous a TV monitor with wires A bike and lots more but I can't think of right now. I've heard that it's a lot cheaper just to sell the furniture and the other stuff except for books and clothing and kitchenware which you can mail via US Postal Service for a lot cheaper and just buy the furniture you need when you get out there. Can any expert give me some advice on this please?
8/23/2017
Steve
Steve, Consultant

generally, speaking......

- carry all important documents/things with you.

- USPS shipping isn't as cheap as you have been lead to believe. it would be cheaper to buy new kitchen ware than ship it cross country via USPS. it's not the volume as much as the weight.

- keep all receipts.......moving expenses (movers, mileage, food, lodging) are tax deductible when relocating for employment.

- it is easiest if you can reduce your move to a 4X4 Uhaul, or better yet, get it all in your vehicle, and drive yourself.

- if you hire a moving company, they should send packers before the movers to pack everything up. they will note the condition of every item packed and you will sign that you agree. if you pack anything, the movers assume no liability for the condition of those items at the other end.

- ideally, the movers pack, move, unpack and put everything away for you and remove all packing materials. some of that might be at extra expense, some may be included. you need to check with the movers. I've done this a few times and it's well worth a few extra bucks.

- if you can afford to pack a suitcase and start over at the other end, I would do that in a heart beat to avoid moving a household.

let me know if you have specific questions.

Steve

Thanks Steve, that made sense! Right now I'm having a relapse of my MS so I really don't have much energy for packing so I have hired someone to help me D clutter and pack because movers won't know what you want to take and what you want to leave. So given the amount of stuff I told you it would be at least 7000 to move, correct and given the information I just gave you about my energy levels, what would you suggest? My condition was stable until I had to deal with the flights there and back and I felt like I started to have more weakness. But I've sold my house here and I bought a house there so I have to go through with it as painless as possible so I thought about donating a lot of my stuff to thing called green space which would take a lot of the stuff I have and then the Salvation Army would take the furniture so then I would just have to buy low-cost furniture off of overstock or one of those websites. So given everything I've told you can you make any more comments or suggestions? My anxiety and depression are also worse.

- again, the movers have no liability for anything you pack. it doesn't even matter if it starts off in a square box and ends up a flat pack. they will not reimburse you for damage to anything in the boxes you pack.

- I would suggest getting rid of what you want to get rid of, then having the movers pack and ship. once you get past what goes and what stays, the stress really eases up. I have moved many times (NAVY) I've found that having the movers do it all is really the best way to go.

Steve

Steve
Steve, Consultant
Hi Steve...still embroiled in this move. I found a freight company that will take 300 pounds of boxes if I put it on a pallet and charge me $650 to take it from New Jersey to coastal Oregon. Does this seem like a deal steel or scam? I know it's not a scam because it comes highly recommended from a reliable source.

that sounds like the deal of the century.

you couldn't move it yourself with a Uhaul for that.

Wow! Thanks Steve!