General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

What was the last year these were made? It is "chest A" from

What was the last year...
What was the last year these were made?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It is "chest A" from catalog not sure which model don't have measurements here
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It is a tool chest, has the 6 handles and I have photos
It does have the vanderman label.
8/15/2017
Jennifer Sheffer
Jennifer Sheffer, Internet Researcher

Thank you for the photos. I will work on this and get back to you today.

You will get an email when I respond.

I will send measurements later today.

I'd also like to see the label, that will help date the trunk.

I can not see it, been painted over. My husband verified it is identical to this.

Vanderman Manufacturing Co.was established in 1878 by William Vanderman and was located in Willimantic CT. The company manufactured heavy steel tool chests used by railroads and construction trades. Some of the smaller chests were used by The Wells Fargo Express Co. and were used as boot-boxes on stage coaches. Vanderman Manufacturing also made combination bench and pipe vises used in the steam fitting trade.Most people call these gold strong boxes when selling them to add to the romantic notion of having been on a stage coach. Vincent Nesci purchased the plant in 1966 and moved it to its present location in East Hampton CT.

Your box actually looks to be one of the older boxes from about 1900-1920 and may have been made for gold transport and not industrial since it has a velvet lining. These trunks have a value (painted, not original to the trunk) of $300 to $475 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
Ebay and letgo.com (local).

You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

Please do click the stars now for this one, it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

Jennifer Sheffer
Jennifer Sheffer, Internet Researcher

You are so welcome.
If you would like to use me on any future questions,
put ForCustomerOnly in the text of your question to get me again.
I respond to requested questions first.

Jennifer Sheffer
Jennifer Sheffer
Jennifer Sheffer, Internet Researcher