General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

This question is for Expert ONLY: Can you give me a list…

This question is for Sarah...
This question is for Sarah Expert ONLY:
Can you give me a list with some forums for hotel owners? Forums I could register and send questions for the community. The other day I sent this question, but the expert replied me with sites that were not forums (one was a kind of group of boutique hotels, another was a tool to help managing my business), and the only forum between them was European. I’m interested in American forums for hotel owners. I'm a small business owner so it has to be something accessible for me.
8/10/2017
Sarah
Sarah, Teacher

Ok, thank you for the question. Let me look into it and get back to you. :)

Ok, I have been researching your question and I can see why the other expert may have had some trouble finding forums that are specific to American hotel owners. What I found is that there is ONE association in the United States that is specifically geared for supporting hotel owners and allowing hotel owners to communicate and connect with one another. It is called the American Hotel & Lodging Association. Here is a blurb I found about it online: "For more than a century, AH&LA has been the only U.S. association focused on the needs of every segment of the lodging industry. Whether you are an owner, REIT, chain, franchisee, management company, independent property, supplier, or state association, the new member-driven AH&LA delivers results and value to your bot***** *****ne. Be part of an advocacy and communications powerhouse!" The website is https://www.ahla.com/ and you can join this association as a hotel owner and connect with other hotel owners around the country.

The only other U.S. association I found that is similar in nature is specifically geared towards Asian American hotel owners. I am including the website for this association also in case this pertains to you. It is called the Asian American Hotel Owners Association. http://www.aahoa.com/

I did find an international association called Professional Association of Innkeepers International (PAII) and if you are a member, you can access their forums. This association was recommended online by a member who said that the benefits of membership are worth the membership fee ($239 annually or $21 per month). http://www.paii.com/Innkeepers

I find one forum online that is just a website forum (not an association) that is dedicated to small-business hotel and bed & breakfast owners:

• Innspiring.com "Where Innkeepers Belong" - a forum run by and for innkeepers http://www.innspiring.com/

Something that might also be an option for you is a Small Business Owners Forum, where you can go on and pose questions and try to connect with other small business owners like yourself in the hotel industry. These sites have forums related to different aspects of owning a small business, such as marketing, finances, management, etc. but are not geared towards any specific industry. I have prepared a list of the top-rated ones below in case you'd like to check them out:

• Quora - This site allows users to ask questions on any business-related topic, connect with experts, and network with other people in your industry. https://www.quora.com/
  • Biz Warriors - This site contains forums on a variety of small business-related topics. It is not specific to any one industry. https://bizwarriors.com/forum/
  • Small Business Ideas Forum - This site also contains forums on a variety of small business-related topics and is not specific to any one industry. http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/

And last but not least, there are two closed Facebook groups that are recommended, but they are geared mostly toward Bed & Breakfasts. However, I imagine that Bed & Breakfast owners have similar needs/challenges/questions/resources as small hotel owners do, so these still might be helpful for you, and they received good reviews online. Here they are in case you'd like to check them out:

• Bed & Breakfast Owners and Innkeepers https://www.facebook.com/groups/117735591755473/
  • Bed & Breakfast Owners Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/DynamicBedandBreakfastOwnersGroup/

And here's one more closed Facebook group that is geared toward hotel owners, but it has less than 30 members so it's not as reputable as the ones listed above (they have over 1,000 members) and this is one I just stumbled across (was not recommended by a third party). Still, I am including it for the sake of being as thorough as possible:

• Pimp My Hotel - Strategies - Opportunities - Collaboration https://www.facebook.com/groups/1798659410415981/

There may be other closed Facebook groups out there for hotel owners that you can find out about through one of the groups I've listed. I did a search myself, but it's hard to search for Facebook groups because sometimes they have very unique names (like "Pimp My Hotel") and so they don't match the exact terms being used to search. I just stumbled on the "Pimp My Hotel" page because the group organizer mentioned it on another website.

I realize that I have given you quite the hodge-podge of suggestions, but unfortunately, my research indicated that the traditional forums are on their way out due to social networking through groups on Facebook, Linked In (if you are not already a member I would also suggest joining this free site asap - it's a great way to network with other people in your industry), etc. Because of this, it is very difficult to find active online forums that focus on a specific industry and offer legitimate help for small business owners. I hope that something in the list I've provided is helpful to you. And, as I said above, if you are not already a member of Linked In, I would suggest joining. Not only is it a great networking site, but there are forum groups on Linked In and you should be able to find several that are pertinent to the hospitality industry. As always, providing you with excellent customer service is my goal. If you feel that I have done that, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. If you need more assistance, please let me know, but I will be honest and say that I am not sure I can offer more help on this topic. I hope that the suggestions I have offered here are sufficient. Have a wonderful evening. Sarah

Sarah
Sarah, Teacher
Thank you very much Sarah! I'll take a look into the links and get back to you in case I need further assistance =)

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance. Thank you for the positive rating. Sarah

Hi Sarah. I will request you for another.question

Thank you, ***** ***** the question and am looking into it for you. Sarah

Hi, Sarah. Isn't there any other page you could suggest me? I need to get in contact with attorneys specialized in vacation rentals and I'm trying to get indications at these forums and groups. In case you find good attorneys at this area, could you tell me about them?

Good morning. Let me look into it and see what I can find. I have an appointment this morning so I may not be able to get back to you with information until later today. I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Sarah

Ok, I was able to do some research for you before my appointment and I was not able to find any more websites that provide forums and resources for small hotel owners, but I did find some specific real estate attorneys that specialize in vacation rentals and they are listed below. However, since I don't know if there is a specific location in the U.S. that you are looking to find an attorney, I have also provided a link to a website where you can search for a real estate attorney who specializes in vacation rentals. Here is that general website:

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/vacation-home-rental-disputes.html

Another general site that you can search on is: www.lawyers.com

Here are some specific attorneys that I located:

I hope that one of these links will be helpful for you. At the least, perhaps one of these attorneys would have recommendations for a real estate attorney in your local area who specializes in vacation rentals. Have a wonderful day. Sarah

Hey Sarah, thanks!Yesterday while making my own research I found the legal match website. thank you very much for the recommendations, I'll give them a call and see if they can help me.