Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

What is the best way to let people particularly those in

What is the best way to let people particularly those in power know of deeply flawed legislation that is already causing serious consequences i.e SB270 in California or its equipvilant going around the country and countries in the world?I have plenty of evidence, photo, data and video, I had tried using blogspot, youtube but I gain little attention off those.
I had tried writing to legislators and politicians though my efforts seem feeble.I know there are plenty of sites that explains the consequences of such actions but they seem fruitless in slowing the fad. Apparently many more progressive leaning politicians think alike and would jump on fad legislation without a thought for consequences.

Good afternoon,

For those legislative matters that you feel need to be addressed before voting on, contacting your local representatives is the first thing to do. Since you have tried this already, continue with calling as well as sending letters (not email) as a handwritten letter shows that you are concerned about a particular piece of legislation.

Consider writing to your local newspaper and have published your concerns. Contact various writers in your local paper and offer them what evidence you have stated as they may become interested in writing a story on what you have discovered.

Start a blog that you can point out facts that you feel can demonstrate the situation you are concerned about. Word could spread about what you are writing and could get the notice of those in government.

Find out when your local government officials are having a town hall and attend those. Speaking up on any topic you feel strong about will be heard by attending these town halls.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks,It appears it is difficult to get ahold of local newspaper as they are busy and or have a one sided "progressive" bias in their reporting.I also tried going to town hall meetings but it appears opinion of the citizenary don't matter a thing to staff or council members. It all depends on what special interest have more control over them. Usually but not always Democrats are more likely to fall for this.Though with blogs it appears there must be some way to link the blogs to get attention.
I have pictures and videos on the blogs though it appears it just gets lost in the Internet.

All of these things take some time as there are many voices out there in social media and having your say does take sometime to be heard.

Start with writing to the letters to the editor of your local paper as well as national papers. Information is listed on the website of each paper to email your letter to the paper. Same works with major magazines as sending a letter to the magazine to be published along with other readers will get the ear of representatives that read these publications. Also special interest groups that agree with your platform will see your letter(s) and can then reach out to you.

Make your voice heard by going to council meetings as well as town halls when your representative is speaking. Your message to them will not take effect right away as getting out there and voicing your opinion takes time.

When talking in front of groups, mention your blog as getting the word out there is the first step in getting it noticed.

Take care,

Michael

In terms of this particular bill in California, look toward contacting industry groups that can listen to your ideas and offer assistance in getting in contact with legislators:

1. APBA

http://www.plasticsindustry.org/apba

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just don't know why some things just get so faddish around the world with little reason. nor common sense.
Governments who believe these groups had taken many unprecedented movements that had never been done.There are many organizations aside from the plastic industry that agrees this causes much more harm than good.
Social media or online forums such as city data do little good in getting people to know the truth as people who spend time on these are mostly radical ones and naturally the radical "progressive" ones normally dominate the users on the Internet.Alas in California it appears only a small group of far left voice their opinions in the ballot box out of 40 million people. The vote is very different than how people vote in the supermarkets when they are presented with a choice.There are many organizations that do prove real scientific data but they seems drowned out. This includes the UK Environmental agency, Despite these results England decided to go along anyways in 2015. https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2015-08-18/how-a-ban-on-plastic-bags-can-go-wrong
Stopthebagban.com, fighttheplasticbagban.com both written by citizens not affilated with any plastic industry.
Though its hard to get the one sided media to admit that citizens not related to the industry do not like this idea.The most depressing thing is that after these ordinances in San Jose and the Bay Area the end results is this look at the difference between The ordinance was passed in 2012 https://www.google.com/maps/@37.364062,-121.899659,3a,75y,104.17h,72.65t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s9GRhADsmw-NMBP71ZnGF-A!2e0!5s20080201T000000!7i13312!8i6656
The same issue repeats in other areas where similar ordinances had been passed in the Bay Area and currently in SoCal which had very few cities with ordinances until SB270 went into effect. The main reason is that the other 99% of garbage are now loose to fly out from garbage trucks. It used to be they are tied in so they were far less likely to spill. Nowadays alternative instruments to tie them or not tie them causes them to end up into the streets and blight everywhere.I keep gathering evidence of this but its just hard to get anyones attention. It appears being blind to reality is the rule these days.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I always wonder how these false flag "environmental" groups gain so much widespread control. Apparently they are very irrational in villianizing something. I.e a certain product used at a certain point is super evil but the same product used in a different setting is left unregulated even though its actually worse. I.e why does using more sometimes hundreds of tiems more produce bags, packaging, and can liners do any better for anything?

For myself living in California and getting used to the bag ban, forgetting to take my bags into the store has happen multiple times. With any new law passed by our legislature, people have to understand what it does to their daily life and issues that can come up that was not thought of when the bill was passed.

Various interest groups have a better control of having the legislators ears and are better funded than others in the Golden State. Having other viewpoints addressed and listen to requires a groundswell of activists that have the same thinking as yourself to organize and get the word out. Working with the organization I linked above would be a start as well as having lobbyists in Sacramento work on your behalf. Getting signatures to have ballot measures on upcoming elections can also be a first step to repeal any law that you feel needed to be addressed. Also continue to attend public meetings and write to the major papers in the state. Getting the word out on a regular basis is the one way to have your voice heard.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am surprised to learn that you live in California too.Do you live close to the SF Bay Area?I don't even bother with the bringing own bags recommendation. In fact I found out most shoppers actually do not. I actually helped some groups do random shopping hour "audits" in stores it appears 52% of shoppers purchase one or more store provided bags, only 20% bring own bags (the figure is about 35% in stores that already encouraged reusing bags in the past i.e whole foods. Sprouts, Trader Joes, etc, the rest either carry out by hand or via handleless bags in the store which ironically are allowed to flow freely as before even though they are more useless around the house and contribute to more flying plastics. Though before such ordinances passed an average of 85% chose store bags 80% of them chose plastic in the few stores that offered them a choice before bagging.The whole thing is symbolic as They just end up taking more handleless bags from the produce section as no one wants spilled groceries and fruits in a paper or cloth bags in a car. Though these things with their smaller openings are far less likely to be used again for trash or other purposes and often goes directly to the trash without being tied in a bag and more likely to fly out of garbage trucks. I have video evidence of this occuring on a freeway yesterday.Ironically there are farmers markets, not officially covered by the state version but covered some local versions such as San Jose's ban or voluntarily went "bagless" though what in reality all they did is make the vendors use "handleless" plastic bags. So nothing has changed except that its harder to carry home.And many stores now do offer thicker plastic bags in addition to paper. If shoppers shun that they would end up buying plastic bags separately for many household purposes as well.I like these two articles on this website
using-reusablebagsnotthateasy.pdf
Shoppers Reject Using Reusable Bags | Fight The Plastic Bag Ban
As well as these
Why are Grocers For Plastic Bag Bans? | Fight The Plastic Bag Ban
Reusable Bag Health Hazards | Fight The Plastic Bag BanPlease feel free to read the rest of the articles on the site if you are willing to.I have youtube channels but I am really not good at editing videos I made.
(1) Vote No on Prop 67 - YouTube
I have other youtube channels which you can probably link to as well.I witnessed many Garbage spill situations on the freeway yesterday which I would upload soon. Including large amounts of trash literally flying out of garbage trucks on the road. Drivers dodging spilled garbage. And even popped tires of a car. Though my main objective is to properly get the word out.
Hope someday it opens the eyes of officials who are now just completely blind to reality.
I appears OC register and LA Daily news are among the last papers in this state that is does not have a completely one sided progressive leaning bias. SD Union tribune may have held out for long but lost it when progressive leaning LA times bought it.
Probably they are our only hope.

You have obviously conducted much research on the topic and something that can be brought up with the organization I listed earlier. I am sure they would like the evidence you have found and can use this information in the lobbying they do in Sacramento and across the country.

Getting your point across will take time as there are others like yourself who feel this law has hurt the consumer and their daily life.

What I would suggest once more is to first attend any council meetings you can as well as any member of congress that has a town hall meeting in your area. I would also start sending letters to the editor to the major newspapers in the state as stating your facts that you have collected. Link in your letter to the editor the links you provided me as evidence to your stated facts. Finally, contact the organization I listed above as they can be of great help to your cause as well as I am sure they will want to hear from you.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Michael for taking your time.Though my main point is what to do with my blogs and videos I showed you on my earlier post. I have plenty of video evidence but I am uncertain which is the best way to present them.Though I believe it may be too late to attend council meetings since SB270 passed and its no longer under municipal control. Though it may be helpful in situations such as if Lincoln, CA reverses its decision to forfeit bag bans in their city which its decision is grandfathered in since it was passed prior to september 2014. As well as some cities such as Milpitas and Del Mar that stubbornly holds on to its own ordinance passed after 2015 back when they assumed the state ban was bound to fail. Cities are clearly forbidden to draft and initiate their own ordinance after September 2014 under SB270. Therefore the rules change for grocery stores toward the state rules and non grocery stores such as Great Mall should be exempt completely as they are not covered under SB270 and the city ordinance that included them should had been nullified.Ironically the organization you listed above had spent a lot of money in this referendum but we don't know where they spent it to. They didn't have any campaigning or ads leading up to the election.It appears one major issue in addition a very blue voter turnoutThough I would always want to find out how did these groups get so powerful in getting so many governments around the country/world to act in ways they never done before i.e require stores to charge and pocket fees. It appears they have great relations with the UN.

There are various ways to present your findings to those that can be interested in correcting or making changes to the existing bill. I would start by contacting those cities that have some interest such as Lincoln CA. Send your findings to those in city government as well as the city manager as that person often has the most control over things pertaining to city government. I would then as pointed out earlier write to the major newspapers in the state and link those findings on your blog in the letter you write. This would also go to magazine letters to the editor as this type of bill has not passed in other states so your information could become useful to those that want to oppose it.

I would again contact the organization I listed earlier as they can get you in contact with nationwide groups that can learn from your blog and videos.

Nationwide would be the way to go in this case as California has already passed such as measure.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I should have emphasized more with what to do with my blogs and videos. I have plenty of these but I don't know what is the best way to express them. Maybe I should have focused my question on this instead of giving so much other details.

Your details are fine as it shows your passion for topic you have described. For what to do with the blog and videos you have made, again I would review what I suggested above as it would be I feel your best opportunity to have those interested in your ideas to be seen.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.Take care,Michael

Take care,

Michael

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mind if I ask what you mean by you suggested above?

From my suggestions and thoughts above, start by writing to the local and national newspapers to the letters to the editor section on how strongly you feel on the topic along with mentioning your blog and any additional facts. This then would get your information out to more readers as well as those in government who then could reach out to you for further information and assistance. Since California has already passed the bill in question, other cities and states could then be interested and those legislators may then reach out to you. This I feel is a way to have more readers and interest in your blog and other facts you have collected.

Take care,

Michael

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Michael did you happen to be able to take time to review my videos and blogs yet?

I was able to quickly take a peek at both. Again,

start by writing to the local and national newspapers to the letters to the editor section on how strongly you feel on the topic along with mentioning your blog and any additional facts. This then would get your information out to more readers as well as those in government who then could reach out to you for further information and assistance. Since California has already passed the bill in question, other cities and states could then be interested and those legislators may then reach out to you. This I feel is a way to have more readers and interest in your blog and other facts you have collected.

Take care,

Michael