General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

You answered one of my questions some time ago and were

Hi Michael -- You answered...
Hi Michael -- You answered one of my questions some time ago and were listed as a Certified Expert in the "Reseacher" category. Since then, Just Answers has changed their service such that "Researchers" are no longer listed in the "Other / Miscellaneous" category of available experts. Are you still answering questions through Just Answers or have they eliminated your category? I LIKE the "Researchers" category because it can be the catch-all for questions not covered by any other listed Just Answers experts.If you are still answering questions as a Researcher, I have one for you regarding the transportation service "Uber" where private citizens can provide transportation via their vehicle to others in the service area needing a ride. This is a San Francisco based company I believe which has become quite popular in many different cities. I live in a town of about 80,000 people in a geographically remote area in the U.S., i.e. as far south in Texas one can go. This market is mid-sized with an active economy but we have only a few taxis in town such that the taxi drivers can get away with charging really high prices to go even short distances. I downloaded the Uber app to my smart phone in an attempt to arrange a ride but Uber came back with the message that their service was not yet available in my area. So my question is -- Does Uber have plans to expand to my area (zip code 78552) and if so, when might we see their service activating here? And could the cab drivers in my area do something to shut out Uber so as to protect their business and excessively high cab fares?I checked the Uber website BRIEFLY but did not find a ready contact point where I could pose this question to the company directly. If you can find a contact point (email, phone, text, etc.) I can try posing this question to them. But if you could also locate the answer to my question (i.e. Is Uber coming to zip code 78552 and if so, when? And if not, why not?) -- that would hit the nail on the head.Thank you for bearing with my long question and here's hoping that you are still active with Just Answers and that your "Researchers" category of experts has not been eliminated / phased out.
4/15/2017
Michael
Michael, Librarian

Good afternoon,

Thank you for reaching out as I am daily online so please reach out when you need assistance. The research listing is still available but you can always use the general listing at anytime.

Right now as you have stated, there is no Uber service in this area of Texas. My research pulled up a business article from Feb 2017 that Uber is negotiating with the state legislature on expansion. No mention if and when it will pass.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2017/02/09/uber-woos-texas-lawmakers-with-rural-service.html

As for cab drivers trying to stop services like Uber, that has been tried in other places. What has happen in those places is that Uber can conduct business but only pick up customers at certain places. Airport pickup for example can only be in certain lots and not near cabs.

So for now, wait and see on Uber in this zip code.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

No direct contact info as tech companies like using email. Here are the only ways to reach them:

https://www.uber.com/info/5-ways-to-contact-Uber-for-help/

You can try though calling their HQ at(###) ###-####/p>

Take care,

Michael

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much for your answers to my questions. You wrote that the Researchers category of Certified Experts is still available over Just Answers. If so, where is it found?

You are very welcome as I hope the information provided offers insight on if and when Uber comes to this area. As for the "research" category, it is still available as not sure where it is listed. You can always contact customer service for assistance.

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael, Librarian
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that you are aware, Michael, the Just Answers Customer Care is frequently difficult to get a hold of. They have contracted out most of their incoming calls to a call center off-shore (the Philippines, I believe). The home staff in California is difficult to reach -- and the website portal often malfunctions when one tries to engage in online chat or send an email. So know that when you write, "You can always contact Customer Care" -- appreciate that such is easier SAID than actually DONE. FYI. I will call on you again, however, and thank you for hanging in there, even though Just Answers has removed "Research" from it's list of Certified Experts (and check the list of experts available yourself if you have not done so recently. It WAS under the "More" category but is no longer there.)

You always know you can contact me anytime on our site as I am online daily to assist with any research you might have.

Have a great day

Michael

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
21-Apr-2017Hi Michael - This question has closed but I wanted to share some new information I received from Just Answers Customer Support regarding why the "Research" category of Experts (i.e. your category) does not appear on some people's screens when posting a question. It is because Just Answers.com does not OFFER the Research category to monthly subscribers unless they have a "Plus Subscription" -- and I have just a standard monthly subscription. This does not mean, however, that I cannot ask a question falling into the Research category. To do so, the procedure is to begin the question with a header indicating that this is a question for a Research Expert. After completing the question, the Asker should not designate any type of Expert for the question and merely submit it as a "General Question." There is an Administrator fielding all incoming questions so as to assign them to the correct Experts. They will see the question header and appropriately direct it to the pool of Research Experts to which you belong. Got it? News you can Use to help subscribers like me and other users of Just Answers to find you in this system. In any event, I have added you to my list of favorite Experts so you can anticipate future questions from me.Please respond to this follow-up comment so I know you received this message. Hope this was helpful.John S. / South Texas

Thank you for this info as I was unaware of this. I look forward to receiving questions from you in the future.

Take care,

Michael