General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

Is 911 enhanced services required on a cell phone in

Massachusetts? Also, does the state of...
Is 911 enhanced services required on a cell phone in Massachusetts?
Also, does the state of Massachusetts require AT&T to charge for this service on cell phones?
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2017
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

Here is the discussion about this on the Department of Renue for Massachusetts:

"

General Laws c. 6A, § 18H, as amended by Chapter 239 of the Acts of 2002, provides for surcharges on wireline telephone services to fund wireline enhanced 911 services.[ 3] The Statewide Emergency Telecommunications Board (SETB) is the state agency charged with coordinating the implementation of enhanced 911 service in Massachusetts.

The amount of the enhanced 911 surcharges is regulated by the Department of Telecommunications and Energy. The applicable DTE regulation provides, "Surcharge receivables are collected by the telecommunications companies for the sole purpose of supporting the programs identified in 220 CMR 16.00. All receivables shall pass directly through the telecommunications companies to the SETB (Statewide Emergency Telecommunications Board) . . . . Telecommunications companies shall only be required to remit the actual amount collected from subscribers to the SETB." 220 CMR 16.03(8).

The incidence of the E911 wireline surcharge is on the consumer and the telecommunications vendor is required to remit the amounts collected to a state agency. Therefore, the E911 wireline surcharge is not included in the sales price of telecommunications services subject to Massachusetts sales or use tax."

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

the way I read this is says "wireline" not wireless. So I interpret this to mean a hard or wired line phone not a wireless phone.

Am I wrong?

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst