General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

We have a small sentry safe with a keypad which we cannot…

Customer Question
We have a small...

We have a small sentry safe with a keypad which we cannot unlock.

Expert's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.

It is a 14x10 SentrySafe with a keypad. The keypad does not light up anymore.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

It has a dial on the left side of the keypad

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: General
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband just told me that the keys were locked in the safe and showed me the hidden key insertion area.
4/1/2017
Expert: Cher, Educator-40+ yrs replied 1 year ago
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hi again,

I'm glad your safe has a hidden key insertion area, in case of emergencies, but if the keys were locked in the safe, that wouldn't do you much good at this time, unfortunately.

If the keypad is not lit up at all, you may have dead batteries. I would try replacing the batteries first, as this may be your problem. I can give you instructions to change the batteries, if you've never done it before, if you can tell me your safe's model number and if the keypad is round or rectangular.

I'll be awaiting your reply.

Thank you!

Cher

Hi again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going with you and your safe. My primary goal is to always provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Cher

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The keypad is round. There is no opening on the outside of the safe for battery insertion. The serial number of the safe is X05512720054848G. Thank you.

Thank you for your reply and your patience; I was offline at the time you posted back.

Are you sure there is no opening on the outside of the safe for battery insertion, because you don't see one, or from experience? Have you changed the batteries before and know that they can only be changed from inside the door? Also, you provided the serial number, but I need the model number. It should be on a badge shaped sticker near the upper door hinge.

If the keypad won't light up, can you use the combination for the dial to open the safe?

If your keypad is round, here are instructions to get to the battery compartment outside the safe door:

Twist the outer part of the keypad to the right just a little bit, until it is loose enough to remove; inside, you will see the battery holder. Replace the batteries with 4 AA new alkaline batteries or the type and number of batteries you remove. Never use rechargeable batteries. You can also use lithium for electronics batteries, which last longer.

Make sure there is no corrosion like rust or leaked battery acid inside the battery holder, before replacing with new batteries. If you do see any of this, wipe it away with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Dry well, the insert the new batteries.

Replace the battery holder and twist back on the keypad, to the left, until it fits perfectly--don't make it too tight, but just tight enough. See if your keypad lights up and you can enter your combination.

Please let me know how it goes.

If my answer helped, please rate with 5 stars from the rating section at the top of the box, as this is the only way I receive credit from the website for my assistance. Thank you.

If you need additional help, just click 'Reply to Expert' and don't rate, yet.

Warmest wishes,

Cher