How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Consultant
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 109
Experience:  attorney and legal researcher
Type Your Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am assuming an antique expert may know about refinishing,

Customer Question

I am assuming an antique expert may know about refinishing, also, so here goes. I am refinishing a dental cabinet built in late 30s. I used a stripper for paint put on 30-40 years ago over the original creme colored gloss enamel. The stripper took the paint off, but did not affect the enamel at all. Suggestions for easily removing it other than sanding? Also, there is a 1 1/4" wide aluminum strip around the unit on three sides and just below the bake-lite top. There is a thin (but 1 1/4" wide) strip missing as you can see the lipped edges top and bottom where something was placed. What is this and where can I find more?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: General
Expert:  dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Can you send me at least one photo of the front and one of the back?

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are several photos. Notice the aluminum strip just above the drawers where something thin and flexible is missing from the strip.
Expert:  dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an accurate answer for your question. I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.
I want you to have the best answer possible. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
I am very sorry.

Kind regards,