Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

The percentages of books sold in the USA by retailer, what

Customer Question

the percentages of books sold in the USA by retailer
JA: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.
Customer: what expert?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Can you be more precise? There are probably several hundred thousand retailers in the USA who sell books from online stores who sell both bound and ebooks to tiny bookshops, groceries, drug stores, dollar stores, etc.

Thanks for any clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Glad you're on the job!I am about to begin marketing a book. I want to know where most books are sold and how.Here's the kind of list I am hoping to have of the top five or ten:PAPER (xxx books per year)
1. Amazon 37% of the paper book market (just a guess)
2. B&N 15%....
3. another company...
4. another company....
5. the remaining 2000 independent book stores....EBOOKS
1. The NOOK 21% (again, I am guessing)
2. Amazon's kindle xx%
3. Apple's stores xx%
4. etc.I am guessing there is a list on the net - or several.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess there is audio as well...

The only report I found on hardcover/paperback market share cost $895 to view.

I will opt out and see if someone else has better resources.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Most reports such as these cost as the previous expert stated. Many are created by market research companies that charge thousands for their study.

Harvard University public library has even had this question asked and they report that this is quite difficult to obtain as the only source they know that would have what you are looking for is a database called "Nielsen BookScan,"

http://asklib.hcl.harvard.edu/faq/81944

What I have done this afternoon is to offer some statistics that have been done over the past few years that can give you a better understanding of where revenue is coming from by the major players.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/booksale.htm

Also let me link to the latest statistics from the American Bookseller Association:

http://www.bookweb.org/news/retail-sales-bookstores-april-33897

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

If you wish to purchase market research reports on breakdowns for bookstores and their revenue:

http://valuationresources.com/Reports/SIC5942BookStores.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay that's fine. Thanks
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

I hope the information provided offers some assistance with knowing more about sales. If you could please take a moment to rate my assistance so that I know my help was useful and allow me to receive credit for helping you today.

Best of luck with your book.

Librarian Michael

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Best of luck with your book.

Librarian Michael