General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

What does COEASU (College of education academic staff union)

Customer Question
in Nigeria stands for? It's...
What does COEASU (College of education academic staff union) in Nigeria stands for? It's functions and their historical background and founding members.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: General
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also need the date it was established. Thank you
5/24/2016
Expert: Andy4712, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Andy4712
Andy4712, Consultant
Here is some info:http://www.informationng.com/tag/coeasu
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/coeasu-begins-indefinite-strike-in-plateau/
Expert: Aaron, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Aaron
Aaron, Consultant
Hello there, Your previous expert has opted out and opened the question up for other experts. I have opted in. COEASU stands for "Colleges of Education Academic Staff Union." However, I am afraid that the year of establishment is not available. Very likely, it was established in the late 1970s or early 1980s when the rest of the Nigerian trade unions began to organize. I hope this helps. Good luck, and please do not forget to rate positively and submit your rating. Thank you.
Expert: Michael, Librarian replied 1 year ago
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Little information on the web in terms of this particular union. From my research today, it seems that they are part of the larger trade union in Nigeria. More on the central trade union that I believe COEASU is part of can be found here in this link:http://cosatu.org.za/show.php?ID=925Will continue to research to see if additional information is available.Librarian Michael
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
COEASU it is not COSATU
You are correct but COEASU I believe is part of the larger union which is COSATU. The start of that union and its history I believe is part of the smaller unions which is COEASU.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not at all, COEASU is in Nigeria not South Africa
Thank you for the clarification as I will continue to search but opt-out for other experts to assist.
While not finding what year the union did organize, I can point out that it was after 1992.In Nigeria, there is a university and college union, recognized at a national level and by individual institutions locally for the purpose of negotiating salaries, and conditions of service. Some powerful staff unions that exist in Nigerian tertiary institutions, according to Okeke (2004) include: The Academic staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Association of Nigeria University Professional Administrators (ANUPA), Polytechnic senior staff association (POSSA), Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) College of Education academic staff Union (COEASU), Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU); and Non-Academic Staff Union (NASU). Also, there is National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) in the universities. These unions are officially recognized by stakeholders in Nigerian education industry and they are involved in collective bargaining to achieve their objectives. http://oaji.net/articles/2014/1543-1418694490.pdf
My thought is that your request must have to do with a research paper you have to write. Information on this topic would be best to find more by checking with the JSTOR database that a college library will have access to. The general databases I have access to as well as the internet has little on COEASU. The article I listed above comes from JSTOR and I feel will offer more info for you.
Michael
Michael
Michael, Librarian