General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Tell me why my friend of 10 years, that lived with me left

Customer Question
home on 12/30/2015. he said he...
tell me why my friend of 10 years, that lived with me left home on 12/30/2015.
he said he was coming back and i have seen him once in a while but only for minutes. he is driving a rented car, but will not give me back the keys to my second car. he says he needs it for work because his tools are in it. he won't give me back the house keys, my second set to my car, and my garage door openers. I don't know where he is, and he does not answer my phone calls. I don't get. he left his citizenship papers here, his computers, and his clothes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: General
1/11/2016
Expert: RONB-ESQ, Attorney replied 2 years ago
RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ, Attorney

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Also in the event you are new to JA, I only receive a portion of what you pay to JA when you provide positive feedback and click the submit button on the upper right corner of your page. If I have provided you a timely response and answered your question please give me the courtesy of a positive rating before you log off the site, as many people forget to log back in and leave feedback. There is no additional charge for continuing to reply after you have rated me and we can continue a back and forth discussion until the question you posed has been fully answered

You should see my answer in the same pane below this response as we continue. In the event you would prefer a phone call please let me know and I can arrange it. It tends to be easier for both parties if you just tell me you want a phone call and let me send you the request versus using JA’s automated “request a call” feature. If you see a pop up regarding a phone call, please note that the website generated that offer. Before I send you any such request it will typically be based on you requesting it by typing the request on the screen and then I will send you a phone call offer (additional $52 typically). Do note that a phone call is not required and we can continue here just typing comments back and forth.

Do not be concerned with short delays in my response to you. When I am online I generally respond in a few minutes, unless I am on a call with another customer. When I am offline I generally respond in less than 24 hours. If I begin to answer your question late in the evening (after 9:00 PM CST) I will generally provide you a quick comment as to the fact that I am signing off for the night. I am generally online most days 1:00PM-10:00PM CST.

You should be able to view my answer just below this response as we continue…. I type kind of slow so I may do some quick research and then be typing your answer it may be 5-10 depending on your question. You can respond at any time.

I recognize that you did not post your question to Legal so you may not have any real legal questions. I did want to see if I could address your question though since it has been floating around for quite awhile.

Do note that I typically log off around 10:00 PM CST which is here shortly, but I will be back online around 3:00 PM CST tomorrow and will be happy to respond to whatever you post between now and then.

You did not provide the state you reside in so I will just provide a general answer and you are welcome to follow up and provide your state if you want more specific information.

I can't answer the question you pose as to why your friend will not communicate with you as I have no knowledge of what may have transpired between the two of you etc., you likely have a good ideal as to why and should go with your gut on that question.

I can tell you that at some point you may want to legally regain possession of your vehicle, garage door opener and keys. If this continues, which it has only been 10 days at this point and I don't know if he has a habit of doing this or if he usually keeps you updated as to where he will be, etc and this just caught you by surprise.

In the event this continues and you decide it may be permanent you may want to make one final request for your keys, garage door opener & vehicle. In the same communication (I am guessing you can leave a voice mail or send email) you may want to advise him that his belongings will be moved into storage and he will need to pay for the storage or in the alternative you could provide him notice and place his items in one of the public storage facilities that charge $1 the first month and just tell him to pick up a key for the lock from you and he will need to either pay future bills or the storage facility will likely just sell the contents.

Again I am presuming alot here and you may have no intention of doing away with your relationship whatever that may be at this time. If you are the owner on the title of the vehicle and it comes to it you can hire a repo company to repo the car and return it to you. They are very good at tracking individuals and finding vehicles. If he won't return your keys, etc you may need to rekey your home/ or request this from your landlord and change out the code to the garage door opener. Your vehicle keys will be more expensive and if you think there is any chance of him taking your car you can go to the dealership and have them change the car door key as well (fairly expensive)

Does that answer your question? If so thank you in advance for providing me positive feedback as that is the only way I am credited for answering your question. If you don't leave feedback I receive nothing and the website just retains your total payment. Do note that after leaving positive feedback you are welcome to reply here with as many follow up questions as are needed to answer the question you posted for free.

Regards,

Just checking in to see if the information I provided assisted you in answered your general question? If not please ask me follow up questions.

RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ, Attorney