How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask justiceb4all Your Own Question
justiceb4all, Attorney
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 Years Experience in Family Law, Real Estate & Business, Litigation, Criminal Defense, Immigration
Type Your Question Here...
justiceb4all is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you do a background check on a person as in current

Customer Question

Can you do a background check on a person as in current address so I can serve him with a lawsuit
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: General
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

You will want to find a local process server to get this information - ask them to run a "skip trace" on your defendant - they can get this information (and generally much more - such as place of work, and potentially other helpful information such as vehicle registration, etc.).

I would also recommend paying the process server to actually serve your summons and complaint for you (process servers do this as a profession, know the service statutes, and are able to provide you with a proof of service that is unlikely to be challenged later), but you do not have to - they will run the "skip search" alone if you prefer.

(Some attorneys do pay for subscriptions for the proprietary databases that are used for skip searches - primarily those that deal with debt collection type suits - but you would need to find a local attorney for this kind of specific legal service - our forum is a "general legal information" forum only).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the case for all as I used Fraud examiner as I thought there's an attorney on there that will do it? If you can't can you opt out so another might see question?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

These types of services should be offered by local process servers - but if you have found an expert on this forum willing to offer this kind of information, I will certainly "opt out" and allow another expert to follow up with you.

Please do not post any further at this time as it will delay the next expert's ability to follow up.

If you need any assistance in the meantime, please contact our customer service at:

Thank you for using our forum, and I do wish you the best of luck.


Expert:  justiceb4all replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I am another Attorney here on JustAnswer. I see that the previous expert opted out of your question. In Anser to your question, JustAnswer does not permit us to take on customers as clients and the only services that are permitted are through this website. In order to do a background check on this individual, you would need some of his personal information such as his social security number and date of birth. If you are suing this individual and he is the Defendant, you should not attempt to serve him because the Rules of Civl Procedure in most states do not permit a Plaintiff to serve the Defendant. So, even if you served him, the Court would rule that the service on the Defendant was invalid. In that regard, I must agree with the previous expert's suggestion that you get a Licensed Process Server to serve this individual. Once the Process Server serves the Defendant, make sure that he gives you an "Affidavit of Service" which should name the individual he served, the address where he served the Defendant, and include a brief description of the Defendant. He will sign the Affidavit and have his signature notarized. He will then giv you the Affidavit of Service so that you can file it with the Clerk of the Court where the lawsuit is pending and the Affidavit becomes part of the Court's record on the case.





Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted this information not only to find his address and background to include assets. I believe there was an expert under fraud examiner i can't remember his name but he has access to this information. I am aware that there will probably be. An added cost. With due respect I appreciate your information but could you opt out as well since you can't provide the requested service? Do I need to edit question to reach him? He may be off during the weekend.
Expert:  justiceb4all replied 1 year ago.

I have no problem opting out of your question. However, the service you are requesting has never been a service which JustAnswser provides. If the expert you are referring to provided or provides this information to you, he (or she) would be violating JustAnswer’s rules, with or without any additional payment.

If you need the defendant’s asset information with regard to what, if any real property he owns, you can call any reputable title insurance company and they will do a search on the defendant and furnish you with this information, but they do not supply any financial asset information. The normal manner of finding out a defendant’s asset information regarding bank accounts, stock portfolio information and similar financial information, is by taking the defendant’s deposition under oath at which time he would have to furnish this information to you, or be held in contempt of Court. However, this is only permitted after a plaintiff has won a judgment against a defendant, never at the outset of a lawsuit and certainly not before the conclusion of the case and plaintiff is awarded a monetary judgment against the defendant.

I wish you the best of luck and very happy and safe holidays,


Expert:  justiceb4all replied 1 year ago.

PS You might want to contact Customer Service and ask for the names of all experts who are assigned to the "fraud examiner' category. That might help you remember the expert's name. You can also ask Customer Service how you can access all of your past questions, that would help you with determining the name of the expert you are looking for. It might be helpful to know the name of the expert you are looking for. Then, you could edit your question by typing the name of the expert at the very beginning of your question, and saying something like the following -

"For (Name of expert) only" This way you will not have other experts continuously asking you if you need any assistance,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am well aware of the civil rule requirement, but prior to filing suit it is just good due diligence in doing a background search to determine if the defendant can ultimately satisfy a judgement in the event you prevail. The standard background check is also a good tool to use as part of the oral depo during litigation. I understand the specific attorney may be unavailable now and don't mind waiting. You might elaborate on how this violates the JA terms of service as one additional service includes review of legal documents among other things. If the personal information of defendant is provided offline through phone call and report is emailed I am unsure how this violates the terms. I called and asked customer sèrvice to place in fraud examiner section only.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please opt out so others can see question? Thank you I think my request specifically ask for what I am seeking and you can't provide. Feel free to answer the question as to terms of service first if you can support that position.
Expert:  justiceb4all replied 1 year ago.

My statements are supported by JustAnswer's Terms of Service which govern the actions of each expert who provides a service to any JustAnswer customer. My replies to you do not prevent any other expert from assisting you.

I wish you the best of luck and happy and safe holidays,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To confirm you are not opting out and other experts will see the question as in maybe tomorrow if person is back from weekend