General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I am trying to find out what type of insect has been eating

Customer Question
HI, I am trying to...
HI, I am trying to find out what type of insect has been eating holes in a decorative linen wallhanging. They are about the size of a pinhead and dark in color. This piece seems to be the only one affected. We do have a rare silverfish in the bathroom and wonder if the two could be connected. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: General
11/28/2015
Expert: Martin, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Martin, Engineer

Hi. Silverfish can eat a lot of things (they especially like cellulose, so vegetal fiber like linen can get damaged by them) but they are bad climber. It was perhaps black carpet beetle (they usually are not attracted to cellulose but if skin oil is present on a fabric like linen they might eat it).

Martin, Engineer