Jennifer Sheffer
Jennifer Sheffer, Internet Researcher
Experience:  researcher
68269273
Type Your Question Here...

How can I safely remove the glass stopper that is stuck in

Customer Question

How can I safely remove the glass stopper that is stuck in my Lalique decanter?
Category: General
Expert:  Jennifer Sheffer replied 2 years ago.

I just had this problem with my decanters that I needed to sell. I have done this often with stuck stoppers on decanters and bottles. I drip some dishwashing liquid around the neck and run the HOT water in the sink. Once it is HOT, I put the bottle under the stream of water and let it sit in the running water for 2 minutes. I continue to lightly check by trying to twist the stopper (don't torque it really hard). If it is not ready, I put it back under the water for another minute. This has never cracked the glass or damaged any bottles. The only negative to this is that some water droplets might get into the bottle in the process and you will have to let that dry out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
far your procedure has not worked. I called Lalique and they recommend warm water on the point of sticking. Laliques method also did not work. I am thinking I will/should take or send the decanter to Lalique and let them solve the problem.

I am surprised that the warm and hot water did not work. Hopefully someone that owned it before you did not glue it shut, which I have also come across in my 10 years of selling antiques. You would be best at this point to send it to Lalique if they would be willing to help and/or simply replace with another.

Please do click the stars to rate.