Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years in the field
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

My primary residence is in Torrance California and I have a

Customer Question

My primary residence is in Torrance California and I have a vacation home in Big Bear Lake California. All of the Big Bear Lake mortgage, tax and utility bills are sent to the Torrance residence.
On occasion, I need to receive items shipped via USPS at my Big Bear Lake Residence such as Amazon purchases or business related materials. The Big Bear Lake USPS uses cluster boxes in the neighborhood or PO boxes in the Post Office.
How do I set up the ability to receive USPS deliveries in Big Bear Lake without changing my primary mailing address.
Thank You - Dave Atkins
Category: General
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

When you order from Amazon, and from most sites, you can specify a shipping address that is separate from your billing address. While the billing address must match your credit card, the shipping address does not have to match. So from the standpoint of getting the site to ship to an alternate address, that's all you should have to know. It will either have a checkbox that says use the same address for my shipping address or it will have the ability to enter a different shipping address.

If your question is more about how to get the box sent and delivered to where you have PO boxes or cluster boxes, then what you will want to do is have it sent to the post office with your name. There are 2 ways to do this, but the best way is to order it and then once you have the tracking information, go online to USPS and request that it be held for pickup.

another way that is valid, but I don't know if all sites will accept it is to use a general delivery address with your name on it. This will get it to the post office and you will have to go to the post office to pick it up. The address would look like this:

John Doe
General Delivery
Whatever Town, WA 98123

Then just follow the tracking information and once it says it's delivered go to that post office and pick it up.

regardless of which way you do it, do not change your primary mailing address or your billing address for the orders. That should always stay the same. It is only the shipping address that should change.

I hope I've answered your question but if I have not, and you still have questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to help.