Mikdermoose
Mikdermoose,
9261905
Type Your Question Here...

I have 160000 km on speedo. Around 700 to 800 km the engine

Customer Question

I have 160000 km on speedo. Around 700 to 800 km the engine seems to cut out momentarily and then runs normal for about 10 to 15 seconds and then repeats. This goes on for about 5 min and then comes right for the next 700/800 km. any ideas ?
Category: General
Expert:  Mikdermoose replied 2 years ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE..

With this issue that you have - and the car you have, these are known for intermittent "crank sensor" failure... that will cause exactly as you describe.

The trouble with intermittent issues they can be difficult to track / hit on with diagnostics etc --for obvious reasons..so sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and replace the most likely suspect.. this again being that sensor.

But do check other items first -such as the general connections in the circuit - to the sensors - even at the battery - main terminals..and the main earth circuit - as anything like that will of course cause the same issues.

Obviously if you find any issues - rectify and retry - but if not, short of any diagnostic results, I would suggest to change the crank sensor -

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .

.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. One other point I meant to mention is that I was in a car behind my Peugeot when this happened and each time it failed/came right, a big puff of smoke came from the exhaust. Ivan

Hello again Ivan - Thank you for your reply.

That would make sense Ivan too - as the crank sensor loses its circuit internally ( which is how you get the fail)..or, a bad connection in the circuit causing it to do that as outlined above, the engine will have had fuel injected into it - and that wont burn - because of no spark as a consequence of the above - so it then blows it out as unused / un burned fuel - smoke.. So yes that does add up. You probably wont notice it when driving - but you would when following the car as you suggest.

-I hope that helps you further -

per the way justanswer works Ivan, I do just need to ask you to please click on the "Ok / Exc ratings" for me now at this point Ivan as thats how justanswer credit me for helping you .. Thank you sincerely ***** ***** that..

Best Rgds. MIKE..

and again you are welcome back anytime at all.....

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure I can rate you as yet. If what you have suggested fixes the problem then I will rate you as excellent. I will have to get a mechanic to carry out your suggestions as I know very little about under the bonnet even though my trade is as a diesel fitter on heavy earthmoving equipment. Ivan

Hello again - thank you for your reply again,

I understand what you are saying - but please understand, I cannot be there to check / test anything - not even a test drive.

justasnwer is here as a tech help / advice site - and that is what I have done for you - advised as to what could be the issue / fault - based on what you have told me... So all I can do is draw on experience etc to offer you suggestions as to the fault.

Sometimes we hit the nail squarely on the head - other times it can take a while to work through but again, all I can do is suggest & advise.

More thought to you your situation would also lead me to suspect you may have a turbo / system fault --if you have that system.. I dont have enough vehicle details of you to tell me that - but if you do - that would also fit with your symptoms so bear that in mind too if applicable.

Again - all we can do is proffer suggestions... but out advice is honest and based on experience and tech info.. As such we ask for the ratings which in turn means justanswer credits us for out time and years of experience gained and offered to you to help you .. I would therefore appreciate your clicking on at least the OK ratings for me at this time - for which I thank you once again. And again , as mentioned before, you can come back anytime you may need after.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.