Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

I was given bedroom dressers, maple. The drawers have an odor

Customer Question

I was given bedroom dressers, maple. The drawers have an odor that is picked up by any item I place in them. Any suggestions as to how to get the odor out. I have tried to spray with deodorizes , no luck
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
There are a number of ways I have found in researching ways to rid the odor away from what is a very beautiful bedroom dresser made from maple. Some suggestions to try:1. Open up all the dresser drawers and have them air out for quite awhile.2. Bowl of fresh coffee grounds inside each drawer which could absorb the odor in each drawer. Also would work with a few jars of white vinegar inside the furniture.3. Line the drawers with dryer sheets and leave inside for several days.San Francisco Chronicle offers a very good home section in their newspaper and they have some suggestions similar to what I have listed above:http://homeguides.sfgate.com/musty-smell-out-chest-drawers-93819.htmlOnce the odor is gone, line each drawer with a nice scent such as a soap bar for example.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried the dryer sheets
Tried airing them out
Will try coffee and vinegar but am skeptical seeing these dressers have been left empty for 10 years in AC
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
I would then try using the coffee grounds first as they can absorb the odor if left for a few days. Same with the vinegar.Another option is cat litter as that is another way similar to coffee grounds that does a good job in absorbing any smells. Since it is a nice piece of maple, having it repainted might work but look for someone that can perform with work in a professional manner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thx
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
You are more than welcome as I believe that some of these recommendations can help getting the odor out without harming any of the dresser.