Andy_PhD_DABT
Andy_PhD_DABT,
58853142
Type Your Question Here...

MY son is 3 y and 6 months old diagnosed to have Autistic feature.As

Customer Question

MY son is 3 y and 6 months old diagnosed to have Autistic feature.As a part of the workup,Mercury level was requested by his psychitrist.It found to be 1.2 microgram/I .While the upper normal is 0.8 microgram/I.She thought he does not need ant treatment since the level is not that high.I did red that the level will be much higher in the brain tissue since Mercury is lipophilic.Would you recomend me to have chaelachin therapy for my kid?if yes in which form?are suppositories ok for this condition .Thank you
Category: General
Expert:  Andy_PhD_DABT replied 2 years ago.
No chelation therapy doesn't seem warranted. It's used for levels that are higher than that. The levels that are considered safe are for concentrations in blood. Brain levels are not measured unless the person has died, so that really isn't an option here. Also, the levels in the brain would be reflected in the levels in the blood. So a level in the blood that is considered safe would account for all the mercury in the body, even if its higher in the brain. There is a constant movement of mercury molecules between the blood and tissues, so they will equilibrate and if unsafe levels are in the brain, the blood would also show unsafe levels.
I hope this helps.
Also please realize that there is no real link between vaccines and autism, with the culprit being the mercury in vaccines. That idea came from one study that has since been shown to be incorrect and vaccines have been cleared as a cause of autism from several good studies.
Take care,
I would focus more on where the mercury is coming from. Fish is a common source. Do you know where it might be coming from? What do you or family members do for work and does anyone have a hobby that might used mercury.
Take care,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks a lot Dr.Andy. I'm a family physician. My husband works in a telecommunication field. We live in Saudia Arabia 2000 km from Iraq ,Syria ,Yaman where all source of weapons are used. Does the use of home cleaning detergent play a role?any way my son put every thing in his mouth ?can this due to Manifaction residue of some toys (made in china with no super vision about the quality and the use of forbidden substances)?

No, home cleaning products would not contain mercury. Do you eat any seafood or give any to your son? Military weapons might have a very small amount of mercury as mercury fulminate is often used as a detonator, but the amount is small. There are also some cases in Saudi Arabia of women with high levels of mercury in their urine and breast milk, which transfered to their infants. Skin lightening cream was thought to be a major contributor to mercury.

Do you use skin lightening creams or eat any type of seafood?

Take care,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr.Andy .Really i and my family eat fish once or twice per year .My question is : could Mercury over load be genetic ?My husband family side have a problem with dyed speech ?Autism in more then one case. So could it be genetic?

I have not heard of a genetic trait that results in an accumulation of mercury specifically. Most people are rarely ever exposed to mercury and so if the levels in their blood are high, it is because they have a higher than normal exposure. Kidney damage could slow down the elimination of mercury, leading to higher blood levels, which I suppose can run in families. So, If your husband's family are prone to kidney problems that might predispose them to high levels of mercury, but would also predispose them to high levels of many other things too.

This is a good source that talks about how you could be exposed (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/PHS/PHS.asp?id=112&tid=24).

Your husband works in the communications field. He might be exposed to mercury as it is used in some electronics. Other sources are some older antiseptics (mercurochrome and thimerosal), gold mining, skin lightening creams, herbal supplements, some religious practices, thermostats or other electrical mercury switches, fluorescent light bulbs, thermometers, incineration of trash or coal fired power plants, and electronics recycling,

Nobody knowns exactly what causes autism. It's hard to say why there is more than one case in your husband's family. There could be a genetic link to autism, but the cause isn't fully understood.

Take care,