Miranda
Miranda, Editor/Writer/College English Professor
Experience:  B.A., A.S., editor (10+ years) and English professor (3 years)
75554464
Type Your Question Here...

I made chicken noodle soup last night and the placed it in

I made chicken noodle soup last night and the placed it in open container to cool before refrigerating but forgot to put it in fridge, is it still safe after sitting out that long?

I'm Miranda, and I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Your chicken noodle soup should be just fine. Soup left out for extended periods of time without refrigeration can accumulate a large amount of bacteria, such as Clostridium perfringens, Clostridium botulinum, Bacillus cereus, etc. However, since it was just left out overnight, the best thing to do is reboil it for 10 minutes (and keep it at a full boil), then put it in the refrigerator this morning. It hasn't been cool long enough for the bacteria to germinate and reproduce up to dangerous levels, so boiling and refrigerating this morning will do the job just fine.

Here is an article that provides more information: http://www.thekitchn.com/soup-left-out-overnight-is-it-still-safe-to-eat-178685

I hope that answered your question. If you have further questions, please ask. It's been my pleasure helping you. Please remember to rate my answer positively, as rating me is the only way I receive payment/credit for my work. If you would like to request my help in the future, please post your question with "For Miranda Only" at the beginning, and I will respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After remembering, I just threw it in the fridge... if I boil it now, could it be eaten or no? I'm mainly concerned about the chicken.

It should be fine. Go ahead and boil it (at a full boil) for a good 10 minutes just to be safe. The chicken won't be a problem.