How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask matt50025002 Your Own Question
matt50025002, M.B.A.
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 105
Experience:  Through my many years of life and learning, I have become wise beyond my years.
Type Your Question Here...
matt50025002 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do foreign tax (or additional taxes due) just reduce

This answer was rated:

Do foreign tax refunds (or additional taxes due) just reduce or increase the amount of foreign income taxes you have to apportion between Form 1116's Part II or do they have to be declared elsewhere on the form 1040 too? This is for a US citizen living overseas full tax years, not filing form 2555, just form 1116.

matt50025002 :

After reviewing the your question, I came to this conclusion. You do not have to declare foreign tax refunds on your 1040. You have to increase the amount of foreign income taxes on the form 1116 part 2. Thanks


thanks Matt, that's what I was thinking (all the income for the refund is already in 1040 wages etc), so this just affects the amount of foreign tax credit I have... thanks for confirming...

matt50025002 and 25 other General Specialists are ready to help you