Marcy
Marcy, B.A., M.S., J.D.
Experience:  Researcher, Lawyer, Home Remodel Business, Real Estate, Cook
20355756
Type Your Question Here...

best way to get smoke odor out of cloth furniture

Hello there

-

Are you seeking to remove cigarette smoke odor or smoke odor from a fire (or both)?

-

THANKS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We recently purchased some living room furniture (that they had outside on a trailer to deliver). They live on a large tract of land and were burning large trees roughly 250 yards away. We believe they were probably burning for a few days (while the furniture soaked up the smell).

Hello again Angela --

-

In some ways, such a smoke odor is probably worse than cigarette smoke odor because it was most likely heavier than cigarette smoke. While the process I describe to you may take some time and several applications, it should work. You can either use baking soda or febreeze spray to clean the smell. In the days before Febreeze was put on the market I used baking soda a lot in situations like this (as my mother also did). Now I use the febreeze. If you use baking soda, then you have to saturate the entire fabric -- I usually recommend doing this outside because you must apply the baking soda and let it dry in overnight and then vacuum the sofa and cushions the next day. You have to repeat the process several times until it no longer smells like smoke. If you use the febereeze, you should saturate the fabric with it and let it dry overnight and then vacuum the fabric in the morning. It has been my experience that 2 or 3 febreeze applications should do the trick.

-

Please let me know if you have more questions.

-

THANKS

-

MARY