How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kaleisha Your Own Question
Kaleisha, Internet Researcher
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 13
Experience:  I have been working as an independent contractor answering research questions with over 98% accuracy for over 3 years.
Type Your Question Here...
Kaleisha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi,My dog ate a mushroom in my back yard last week and

This answer was rated:


My dog ate a mushroom in my back yard last week and had to spend 2 days at the vet. Since then I have found more mushrooms. I am afraid to let him out into the yard, even when I am with him. I need to get rid of them, for good. I have done a lot of research on this. And am more confused than ever. So maybe you know. Will a fungicide take care of this? Do you know of anyone who has had this problem? How did they cure it? I can check the yard before we go out to play, but I am afraid I might miss one. Thanks.


Hi Judi, This is a huge problem. We would not want your dog to get sick again from eating those mushrooms. Firstly, You must reduce the amount of moisture in the area. Mushrooms thrive in wet soils. If you water your lawn frequently, you may want to think of changing number of times you water. Second, keep any decaying elements out of your yard. Mushrooms love growing around decay. This means lawn mower clippings (cut grass), pet waste, tree stumps, leaves, etc. You can also use a fungicide. Just make sure you follow the instructions. You will want to keep your dog away from the treated area until it is safe. Whatever method you choose, you want to continue treating your lawn to ensure the mushroom do not grow back. They can grow very quickly and you don't want to miss one.

How is your dog doing? Were you able to buy a fungicide or did you try another method?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know what fungicide works best?


Use lawn fungicides like Bayelton or Daconil to remove the wild mushrooms. For every 1000 square feet, 2 to 3 lb. Daconil is the cheaper out of the two and is easier to find. Your local home depot should have it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will this keep them from growing?


Hi Judi,

Sorry for the late response. The fungicide will control the mushroom for a short period of time. Depending on the contributing factors, the mushrooms could appear back within a few days, weeks or months.In order for the mushrooms to stop growing, you have to make sure your lawn is free from contributing factors. A fungicide will only keep a band-aid on the problem if you do not clean up the infected area. It will take constant re- applications for the fungicide to work. Alternatively, clean up the infected area (remove all mushrooms, dead leaves, animal waste, and attempt to give the area direct sunlight),spray the infected area one good time with the fungicide and use preventative measures to keep the fungi from growing. Eventually, they will stop appearing.

Remember: If you decide to use the fungicide, the fungicide won't kill the mushroom. The mushroom is the fleshy, spore-bearing fruiting body of a fungus. If you want the mushroom gone, you must remove it. The fungicide will kill the fungus below the surface located in the soil. Before application, remove the mushrooms above the surface and spray directly into the ground (below the surface) where you removed the mushroom.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really appreciate your help. This is so frustrating. I have had dogs all of my life. I do pick the mushrooms when I see them. I diligently pick up dog waste. I never water. But I do let the grass grow long and let the clippings stay on the lawn for fertilizer. I have blocked off a small part of the yard so it is easier to check for mushrooms before we go out to play. I will start to treat it with a fungicide. Is there such a thing as a non chemical fungicide?


There is no such thing as a non chemical fungicide. From what you are saying, it must be the clippings from the lawn that is causing the mushrooms. Those clippings do produce a lot of moisture.
Kaleisha and 41 other General Specialists are ready to help you

Related General Questions