Kaleisha
Kaleisha, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I have been working as an independent contractor answering research questions with over 98% accuracy for over 3 years.
14170205
Type Your Question Here...

My husbands package was lost in the mail and the contents are

My husbands package was lost in the mail and the contents are valued over $5,000.00. He was incarcerated and when he was transferred they mailed his property which is now missing. What can we do?

I'm not sure what you're asking here, so this may not be sitting in the right category.

Do you feel that this was never mailed somehow but was misappropriated by the Department of Corrections and/or the prison officials? Did you contact the prison to make sure that this package did go out?

Or is this just a mail issue?

Use the reply tab below.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The package was mailed an we were able track it to the mail center in Atlanta, Georgia. After that we can't find anything out. The correction facility says they mailed it and it was lost. The postal service said to get in contact with the mail center and from there there's nothing else to do. Because of the time it took the correctional facility to tell us that it was lost the post office is trying to say its too late to get anything for the loss. There was baby pictures of our kids, jewelry, a gold and diamond grill, an Alaska state ID card and some mail in the package. The grill alone was valued at $5,500 and the baby pictures can never be replaced, those have sentimental value and there just has to be something we can do

I'm sorry to hear of this, but if you've tracked it and know that Corrections did indeed send it out, then this is not a legal question. I'm going to move it to our general category where perhaps there's a pro who knows how the post office works.

Had this happen once to me, for what it's worth. It took 6 months for the PO to find it, in Atlanta, but I recovered it. I just filed the standard PO procedure for a missing item and had about given up when I received a notice.

I'm opting out of this and will transfer it. Please don't respond to me because it will lock the question and other experts won't be able to see it.

I hope I am able to help. Since you verified that the package made it to the Post Office, then you should be able to file a claim on that item. Especially if you have a tracking number. Here is the link to file a claim. https://www.usps.com/ship/file-domestic-claims.htm
Kaleisha, Internet Researcher
Experience: I have been working as an independent contractor answering research questions with over 98% accuracy for over 3 years.