Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

How did HIV aids start and who was the first person to have

How did HIV aids start and who was the first person to have it

The first cases were in June 1981. see link

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5021.pdf

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a General Specialist and researcher. I have found some information to answer the question you posted. As early as the 1930's researchers has found SIV in Chimps and Monkeys. At that time Chimps and monkeys were a big food trade in the Congo. HIV actually has several theories as to how it started. The First theory is that it came about from a Chimpanzie that was infected with SIV which is simian immunodeficiency virus. It is believed that a person in the Congo was hunting and killed a Chimp infected with the SIV. When the chimp was eaten it passed the virus onto the person and mutating into the HIV virus. The other theory is by a British author Edward Hooper who has claimed that HIV originated because of cross-contamination from an oral polio vaccine given in Africa in the late 1950s. The vaccines was supossed to come from chimp kidney cells and was thought to be contaminated with SIV : www.avert.org/origins.htm The vaccine was given to around a million people in the Belgian Congo. There was a plasma sample taken from an adult male in 1959 in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and was found to have the HIV virus. I hope this is helpful in answering your question. It is not known when HIV was first started, but the earliest case detected in a human was in the late 1950's. Joan

Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience: I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.