A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

WE OWN A FREE STANDING SECTIONAL TITLE UNIT. TWO YEARS AGO,

WE OWN A FREE STANDING SECTIONAL TITLE UNIT. TWO YEARS AGO, IN ANTICIPATION OF PAINTING WORK THAT WOULD NEED TO BE DONE, OUR MONTHLY LEVY WAS INCREASED FROM R375 TO R650. WHEN THE TIME CAME FOR PAINTING, THE MANAGING AGENT ADVISED THAT THE QUOTATION WAS HIGHER THAN HAD BEEN ANTICIPATED AND WOULD REQUIRE AN ADDITIONAL R12 000 ONCE OFF PAYMENT FROM EACH OWNER. AT THE TIME, WE OBJECTED AS WE DID NOT HAVE THIS AMOUNT OF CASH AVAILABLE, BUT DESPITE THIS, THE PAINT WORK WAS DONE. WE HAVE SUBSEQUENTLY OFFERED TO INCREASE OUR LEVY PAYMENT TO R1000 PM TO OFFSET THIS AMOUNT BUT HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT WE MUST PAY THE R12 000 AS A LUMP SUM TO AVOID LEGAL ACTION. DO WE HAVE ANY RIGHTS HERE? YOUR ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would just appreciate a basic response - i.e. you have a valid argument in objecting to the payment/you are wasting your time in trying to argue this case. Many thanks.

Thanks Saralee,

We will search for a professional for you.

I'm sorry you've been waiting so long for an answer. If the majority of the trustees voted for the special levy, then you really don't have a leg to stand on. You should read you original contract over carefully. Odds are that there is a part concerned specifically with special levies. Usually what it says is that you pay them. Period. All owners must pay if the units are to be kept in proper repair.

I'm sorry if that isn't the answer you are trying to get, but it is the general rule and probably you will find it in the small print of your owner's documents.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ

A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research