General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Can you tell me if x-ray scanning devices used at Indian airports

can tell the difference between...
Can you tell me if x-ray scanning devices used at Indian airports can tell the difference between genuine paper currency & counterfeit bills? And what the value would be if the currency was contained in a sealed wooden box? I have been told this is possible, but I doubt it.
4/30/2013
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Spent the morning on your most interesting question.

Everything I can research in terms of airport x-ray machines in Indian airports and those worldwide show
nothing in terms of determining money as being real or counterfeit. These machines look at items as individual and in bunches and a large quantity showing on their screen would possibly bring suspicion and having that bag pulled aside to be empty and reviewed.

Individual pieces of paper money, while not picked up as a concern could possibly be if put together in a bunch where a security person may wish to investigate further. A box of any sort could also raise suspision.

Any and all security issues can also be found here on this site:

http://www.indian-embassy-consulate.com/indian-airport-security-check-and-regulations.htm
Michael
Michael, Librarian

Do you think that airport x-ray scanning machines are able to show such things as water marks or faces that appear on currency notes? I have looked at quite a few counterfeit counting machines which can automatically pick out counterfeit notes, but they don't seem to use x-ray.

What the x-ray is looking for is usually an item that is organic, inorganic or metal in nature. If something comes up that can raise a question, then the item may be reviewed and checked over from the luggage. Looking as close as a watermark is something a scan is not pointing out from my research.

Here is a great link to the understanding of how the X-ray system operates when you check in:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/airport-security4.htm

Did you get the 5 euros I left as a tip?

Very kind of you. Thank you.
Michael
Michael
Michael, Librarian