General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Hi. This question could be for the internet researchers here:

Patience, LibrarianMichael, XXXXX XXXXXnigan, etc.. I...
Hi. This question could be for the internet researchers here: Patience, LibrarianMichael, XXXXX XXXXXnigan, etc..
I am training to be a bartender.. I am interested in learning more and more. I like watching videos on the topic.
I'd like some help to find either (or both) youtube videos or/ and DVDs on the topic, most specifically on how to get speed (multitasking and doing different drinks at the same time in an effective way), tips on how to handle customers and overall liquor and cocktails knowledge.

Thanks
3/27/2013
Karel1
Karel1, Just know a little something

hi. could you please opt out of the question so another expert can answer it? thanks

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Hello. Welcome back.

There is a lot of informaiton out there and what will help you depends on how far along in the process you are as a bartender. If you are just getting started, then you can learn quite a bit from a couple of videos from Master Bartender Jimmy Wanderman. The adio, especially on the second video isn't that great, but this guy is a genious at bartending and he's all about how to make the most money you can by being the BEST bartender you can be. He completely understands and teaches that mechanics is only part of the formula, and that people skills is a huge part of making money.

Bartend for Free
Jimmy Wanderman Basic Bartending
Jimmy Wanderman Lost Art

There are also some great links to resources on his site (first link above)

Bartending made Simple
(more of an informercial, but interesting)

You touched on one of the most difficult tasks of bartending effectively - multitasking. That comes along wtih tons of practice, but you'll eventually do it without even being conscious of it.

There are nearly unlimited reasources out there for bartending. If there are specific things you want to see, let me know and I can point you in the right direction. Also, there is very likely a bartending association in your area that would be a tremendous resource for you to get started and advance your career.

Let me know what other kind of info you are interested in and I'll get information tailored to what you want.

thanks for the helpful answer Michael!

I liked those videos!

i am looking more for videos on speed drills and techniques, basic beer knowledge and wine knowledge.

i appreciatte it : )

Sorry for the delay. Finding something online with specific drills is a little more difficult because the "bartending school" industry is such big business. However, there is a place where you can get fantastic DVDs very inexpensively - each DVD is a one hour course. Another cool thing at this site is that you can get practice bottles to help go through the drills. For the basic stuff, check out their seminar videos, but they also have a series call "Extreme Bartending", which, by the name of their site you can see, is their specialty. If you spend enough time with the Extreme Bartending Series "Competition Flair" DVDs... and you're really serious about it, you'll eventually have customers coming to watch you as much as they do to sip your delicious (and proportionately priced) drinks.

Extreme Bartending

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant

What did you think of that web site?

sorry it took me a while to get back to you and give you my feedback. i liked it.

thanks

Mike, could you do me a favor?

id like to purchase the 1.2 and the 1.3 dvds of the website you sent me above ((Extreme bartending).

I bought the 1.1 but it turned out to be 46 dollara with shipping.

could you pkease help me find a source to either dowbload them or buy them used for much less?

id really appreciate

Sure. The only way I know of to get these for less is to buy them in the packaged sets of more than one DVD. You can see what those look like here:

DVD Special Deals

The reason is that the site is actually the company that makes the DVDs. I don't know of another way to purchase them. They do offer the individual videos for download, but they are much more expensive that way for some reason. I thought I was looking at it wrong because of the price, but here's the page:

Individual Videos

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant