Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

Looking for a furniture leather expert. We bought leather

Looking for a furniture leather expert.

We bought leather sectional from bassett furniture. It was special order and they stated on the receipt no refunds or returns. We went with the leather because we were concerned about our dogs and scratches. Have had leather before with the dogs with no problems.

Sectional del 3/1/13. About a week
Later we discovered our first scratches. Its a dark leather and then more splits or scratches. Called the store they said to call the leather warranty company that we paid $350 for 5 years of coverage. Guardian sais scratches not covered-only cuts and punctures.

Bassett then sent out a tech who looked at the scratches cuts and we are awaiting his report.

Question is. What type of leather is this that has such a paper thin top layer that would take a sratch so easily.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thats fine. Even someone who knows leather and why like car leather never ever scratches while others are not durable.

Thanks

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

I did some research to find you some information about the leather. There are different types of leather that is used for furniture. This is one of the possibilities as to why you had problems with the furniture you purchased. The smooth leather that most easily scratches is called Aniline. There are three qualifications that you can read about in this link if you scroll down to #6 Leather Types and it goes over which type of leather is the most durable: http://www.ahfa.us/uploads/documents/leather_booklet.pdf

According to the information supplied in the above link the best type would be type P which is protected leather and most scratch resistant. It has a protective finish which makes it more durable. The type N is Nubuck which is a suede like fabric which requires the most care. If you go into the section of the Glossary, it does give a lot of information about what is done to the leather to make it most durable.

The leather you want for the least problems is a protected leather.

I hope this will help you with figuring out why you have had problems with the furniture. I am so sorry that you had to replace the furniture due to cuts and scratches. Joan

Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience: I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much for the info and effort...

You are welcome! I hope the new furniture will be better. Joan