Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Hi. I live in New York. Ill be searching for an apartment soon

Hi. I live in New York. Ill be searching for an apartment soon in Manhattan. I am looking for a perfect place (affordable, well located, beautiful)

1- what is the best way to find the best deals? I know Id be paying more if I deal with a broker. How can I deal with owners directly?
The best place to go is craigslist.com where apartments are posted daily according to boroughs and all of them are by the owner which iswhat you check off when you do the apartment search.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

but the thing with Craigslist is that eventhough they have that section for no brokers apartments most of them do have brokers. They post in that section.

so that was why I was wondering a different way of doing it.

thanks

No in craigs list, you go to housing wanted, then when it comes up under housing wanted is an arrow click on it and you will see all the choices, which list, by broker, by broker and owner or by owner only. click on by owner only.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I understand. but what I was saying is that eventhough it says by owners almost all the ads are from brokers

There also is a place to click on forno fee brokers which you pay no fee. There is apartments.com. Other than checking in local papers like te vllage voic, post, craigslist is really the best place to look. Of course word of mouth. You may also want to try if there are churches in the area. If you call many times someof the church bulletns may list apartments that parishioners are looking to rent and they take an ad in their church weekly bulletin. If I answered your question satisfactorily please giveme a good rating.
Hello and welcome back to Just Answer.

Being a native New Yorker, these are the best tips to finding a nice apartment on your own, without incurring the cost of a broker:

Walk around the neighborhoods you're interested in and see if there are any 'for rent' signs and/or leasing offices directly in the building. If a building has a doorman, ask him if he's aware of any available apartments. Look for buildings containing a larger number of apartments, because if several are empty, the rental management company or, if co-op, the owners, would be more willing to negotiate. Ask if the apartments are straight rentals or if they are co-ops, owned by individual owners. Leave your business card, or if you don't have one, your name, contact info and what you're looking for, with the rental agent or Super of the building and ask to be contacted if anything opens up, if there is nothing available at that particular time. Of course, offering a small 'tip' to the Super might yield more results.

I'm sure you realize that the rental prices in Manhattan are quite high, especially if you are looking for "affordable, well located, beautiful". If you are willing to give up, say, great location, look for apartments near "Els" (elevated trains) or that don't have a great view, as they will be less expensive. Giving up a wonderful view and/or tolerating some additional noise (you can always wear earplugs to bed) may be worth it. I lived in such an apartment (in a different borough) and became used to the noise of the trains--found it even 'lulling' as I fell asleep. : )

If the apartment you're seeking doesn't have to be in Manhattan, but close by, let's say for work, you can find reasonably priced apartments in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx, which may only be a train ride or bus ride away.

You can also check your local Pennysaver to look for apartments for rent by owner, sub-lets (make sure they're legitimate/legal) or by leasing offices in the areas of your choice.

Many older apartment buildings are rent-controlled so there is not a lot of movement in and out (many relatives take over the lease if someone moves out), however, if you or any of your friends know someone who has recently divorced, been transferred for their job, has a relative who has passed away, etc., find out if their apartment is available.

I wish you much good luck and hope you find what you're looking for!

Please take a moment to Rate with Positive Feedback (Laughing), as that is the only way in which I am credited by the site for my time, work, and expertise. Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

Please let me know if you need any additional information or have any questions about the answer before rating, by clicking 'Reply', and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

To request me for future questions, simply type "For Cher" to begin your post and I will answer, asap.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Cher. thanks for the answer! Very helpful.

i wanted to ask you the meaning of a co-op. I am not from the US originally, so this term is uncommon to me. I googled it and found an answer saying that it is an apartment that people bought sharew of the company that owns it. I am still confused by the definition and how it would make a difference to me: ).

Also what is the difference between a leasing office and a management company? woudnt they charge me a brokers fee?

and how would I get to speak to a supper? some buildings have dormen and some are walk ups. I could ask the dormen to speak to the super. But what if it is a walk up? :)

thanks youuu.

Hi again, and you're most welcome!

Thanks for your reply, and I'm glad you found my answer helpful; it would be my pleasure to explain these terms to you.

A co-op is basically an apartment unit that you 'buy', in an apartment building, but you are buying the right to occupy that apartment; the co-op (short for 'cooperative', which means something that is owned by many people, not just one) is really a 'share' or part of the entire apartment building. This doesn't really affect you, as you are looking to rent, not to buy, but I mentioned it to let you know that some apartments may be owned by individual owners (there are a lot of co-ops in Manhattan) from whom you would lease or rent, and other apartments may be in a strictly 'rental' building, and the leasing office or management company (which are really the same thing) is hired by the owner of the building to rent and maintain the apartments and building. If you rented an apartment in such a building, no, they do not charge a broker's fee, because they are not a broker, they are there to rent the apartments on behalf of the landlord. In such a situation, there is sometimes an 'application' fee, when you want to rent an apartment, which pays for a background check and processing the paperwork. If you were to rent from someone privately, there would most likely not be an application fee.

The 'super' is short for 'superintendent' of the building and in many cases, he/she will show available apartments to interested parties in addition to doing maintenance for the building (fixing things). If a building is a walk-up and doesn't have a doorman, then you would look for any 'For Rent' signs in windows of the building, or on the front door or near the mailboxes, inside. There might also be an apartment door on the first floor that says 'Superintendent' or 'Building Manager' and you could knock on that door to find out if any aparments are available. Some buildings may have a sign saying 'no vacancies', which means there are no available apartments.

The doorman and super would usually know if there are any available apartments in the building and yes, you could ask the doorman who you would speak to about available apartments and it may be the super or someone else in the building.

You could also look for fliers posted in stores in the neighborhoods you're interested in; sometimes, supermarkets and laundromats have a bulletin board with ads for local apartments for rent.

I hope this additional information has helped you further!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you so much, Cher!

I appreciate your help!

You're most welcome!

It was my pleasure to be of help to you and I hope you find the perfect apartment!

Thank you very much for your positive rating; it is greatly appreciated!

If you ever have any new questions, please feel free to request me and begin your post with 'For Cher' and I will answer as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

absolutely. what topics do you know about? : )

Hi again,

In addition to being in the 'General' category, I am also in Cats, Pets, Homework, Writing Homework, and Entertainment. I'm also fluent in Spanish, and help with Spanish Homework and translations. : )

Best regards,
Cher