SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

Would you think that a person was trying to imply or insinuate

Would you think that a person was trying to imply or insinuate something by replying "I tend to agree with you" instead of replying "I agree with you" or "I agree"? Thank you for your assistance.
Hello and welcome. The human brain work in fuzzy logic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic
and the "I tend to agree with you" mean that the person agree with you but not at 100% or might agree with you in the future once more data is weighted in. Some can also use the phrase to state that they don't really have an opinion on it and usually trust your judgement or feel incompetent to give their own opinion so they rally with yours.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting

Mike here...

I tend to use this and a variation of this with a particular friend of mine. He and I agree on a large variation of topics, situations, likes, dislikes and as such this person and I tend to arrive on similar or same results.

Chances are the person who said this probably shares the same opinions, similar trains of thoughts and has similar morals to the person it was said to. It should not be looked at as a bad thing and in all honesty I do not feel they were trying to imply or insinuate. They were just positively reinforcing the fact that they had the same or similar opinion to the other person in question and wanted to make it known that similar thinking is commonplace.

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist