General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Is there an online resource of fire accidents in residential

Is there an online resource...

Is there an online resource of fire accidents in residential buildings? I'd like to conduct some research into specific types of fires.

Specifically about NYC.

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/28/2013
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

The New York Times covered this topic in a story dated a few years ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/nyregion/16accidents.html?_r=0

Information from the New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency services offers detailed reports up to 2009 on types of fires dealt with by their firefighting services:

http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ofpc/fire-incident-reporting-system/statistical-information.cfm

Here is the 2012/2013 report put out by the NYC Fire Department that covers the various types of fires dealt with in the city:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/publications/annual_reports/2012_annual_report.pdf

FEMA also offers a detailed database that covers all states and types of fires: http://www.usfa.fema.gov/statistics/

Excellent information.

Thank-you.

Where would I find information (statistics) on aparmtnent building fires whereby the spread of fire was caused by an aparmtnent door being open or not closed correctly? ie the fire proof door which is meant to contain the fire wasn't able to because it was left open or did not close automatically.

Or is this too defined?

Thanks again.
Glad that the materials I sent earlier today can be of help. Quite possible that the question about fire doors could be in one of these reports so would have to read each report to see.

By the way, here is a very detailed report on fires reported in NYC and can be reviewed month to month:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/stats/citywide.shtml

Spent the evening looking for any statistics but not finding something definitive. NY Times covered this topic on closed doors and a fire last year: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/nyregion/a-closed-door-the-best-ally-in-a-home-fire.html?_r=0

Breakdowns can be found for places such as colleges in the NYC metro area but not been able to get a citywide number.

My suggestion would be to contact NFPA as they have detailed reports for members but quite possibly can research for you statistics for NYC: http://www.nfpa.org/

Michael
Michael, Librarian
This sterling! Thank-you!
Michael
Michael
Michael, Librarian