General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I am starting a new work shift it will be from 2am to 10:00am.

Right now I work from...
I am starting a new work shift it will be from 2am to 10:00am. Right now I work from 4am to 12:30pm. I usually get to bed around between 6:30 - 7pm. With the new shift my parents suggested I go to bed between 4-4:30pm. I do still live home and I am 41 yrs old.
2/19/2013
Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member
Good morning,

It really depends on how much sleep you need and how much time you need to get ready for work. If your goal is to get 7.5-8 hours per night, which is normal for many adults, then, yes, you would go to sleep between 4 and 4:30 in the afternoon, assuming that you would wake up at midnight for a 2 am shift. If you don't need two hours to get to work, then you could probably go to bed a little bit later.

On the other hand, if your current sleep schedule works for you, and your shift is moving forward two hours, it would make sense to also shift your sleep schedule ahead two hours. That would have you going to sleep between 4:30-5.
Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member
Lucy
Lucy
Lucy, Mensa Member