General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Bookbinders and Book restorers in Bromley area Postcode BR1

2NR...
Bookbinders and Book restorers in Bromley area Postcode BR1 2NR
1/28/2013
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Being a librarian, I understand the importance of having the services of a bookbinder to save your collection from damage.

Quite a number of services in the Bromley area so I have researched a listing for you to contact for further information on their business:

London Directory's Bromley binders area: http://www.londondirectory.co.uk/Bromley/Media/Book_Binders/

Also another listing from the services of 118.com: http://www.118.com/search?geo_id=508095&distance=19&category=&what=bookbinders&where=Bromley+%28London%29

I have some 20 old and rare first editions of polar exploration. My collection number about 3000 titles. Some books, especially in old leather bindings need restoration, a couple new bindings.

Quite an impressive collection. I would first visit some of the bookbinders listed above and ask to see their work and the pricing involved with such a large number in your collection. There seems to be quite a few in the Bromley area so a visit to a number of them would be a good start. Hard to know just by looking online to see their work as walking in person would be the way to go.

If you are unable to visit right away, ask for some of the vendors to send you a sample of their work. I know when working in various libraries over the years that we would ask for a sample in order to see if we liked the quality.
Michael
Michael, Librarian

Dear Librarian Michael

Many thanks for your reply. I have tried both websites, but there seems to be no bookbinding expert service in the Bromley Area, and there is no reference to specialist service for restoring old antiquarian books. So, I am back to where I started. Any further suggestions, please? I don't like to send valuable books in th post to somebody I have never heard of.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

I understand as not knowing the services of a bookbinder without seeing their work would make me not want to send them something as valuable as your collection.

Trying to locate a service that is in the Bromley area but that has become a bit difficult. Here is one service but not sure of how much in terms of distance it is from where you are located:

Robert Kirkman: http://www.robertkirkman.co.uk/subjects.htm
Bookbinding and Restoration
We undertake bookbinding in leather and book restoration. Bookbindings and book restoration executed by skillful bookbinders. The repair and restoration of old family Bibles a speciality. Customers are invited to e-mail for details.

I have though another suggestion as to possibly contact organizations in England that deal with bookbinders and see what recommendations they may have in terms of finding a service close to you in Bromley.

Here are the major organizations for you to contact:

The Society of Bookbinders: http://www.societyofbookbinders.com/

Designer Bookbinders: http://www.designerbookbinders.org.uk/
Michael
Michael
Michael, Librarian