Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I have a couple grammar

I have a couple grammar questions. What is the correct punctuation to introduce a list? As in the sentence, "For my niece and nephews: Amber, Luke, and Levi." Would it be a colon? Or is there a more elegant way?

Also, can you explain the rule of whether to put end punctuation inside quotation marks or outside? I find it very awkward to place it inside when the quotation isn't itself a sentence, as in, "The sign says, 'Stop.' " I 've been told that's the correct way, but it seems bizarre to give a stop sign punctuation.

Thanks.

Hello Isaac, and welcome back to Just Answer.

The correct punctuation to introduce a list is a colon, as you thought. You can read more about the appropriate use of the colon, here: http://lilt.ilstu.edu/golson/punctuation/colon.html

Yes, the end punctuation (commas, periods) should be placed inside, before the closing quotation marks. However, in your example, you have two sets of punctuation marks; is that because someone else is stating the information? If not, Instead, you can write, The sign says "Stop." You can read more about different kinds of punctuation being included inside or outside the quotation marks, here:
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/quotation-marks-with-periods-and-commas.aspx

Please Rate with Positive Feedback (click happiest, smiley face), as that is the only way in which I am credited by the site for my assistance. Thank you very much; I appreciate it! Laughing

Please let me know if you need more information before rating, by clicking 'Reply' and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

To request me for future questions, simply type "For Cher" to begin your post and I will answer, asap.

Best regards,
Cher

Hello again, Isaac.

I added more information to my original answer after, it appears, you had already read it. This is the information I wanted you to have: You can read more about different kinds of punctuation being included inside or outside the quotation marks, here:

Please let me know if you have any further questions by clicking "Reply to Expert", and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

If you found my answer helpful, please let me know here, and by Rating with a smiley face. That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher

Hi again, Isaac.

Just following up with you to see how everything is going and if my answer helped.

If you need any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask me by clicking on 'Reply to Expert', and I will answer as soon as possible.

Thanks very much for the opportunity to be of help and thank you for using Just Answer!

Best wishes,
Cher