Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

I would like to know if streptocarpus (primrose) can grow outside

I would like to know if streptocarpus (primrose) can grow outside in a window box in England.
Streptocarpus are some of the most beautiful of the Gesneriad family which includes such plants as African Violets. They fall into two groups, one with leaves and one with stems.

As for care, know that they originate from wooded areas near mountains so they do not want full sunshine. They do though want some bright position to grow. This is because too much sunshine burns the leaves and fades the flowers. Keep them either in a greenhouse or indoors facing east or west.

Instead of a windowbox outside, maybe grow instead facing a window that receives bright but not harsh sunshine. If you still would like to try in the windowbox outside, try planting there as long as it gets late afternoon sun and not midday.

Shade is important the first few weeks you start growing as well as water as needed when it looks like soil is dry.
Water more in March and April and by late spring you should have plenty of beautiful flowers.

A good idea is to 're-pot every winter to have abundant flowers for the next season.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help. It was very useful.

You are welcome and let me also send you a link for the various types of streptocarpus that can be grown in the area around the UK from which you live: http://dibleys.com/dibleys-shop/streptocarpus.html

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!