General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Hello, I recently decided to step onto the new wave of hand

Hello, I recently decided to step...
I recently decided to step onto the new wave of hand fan design. As we have no fan manufacturers in Australia I sent 13 of my designs to china for manufacture.
I imbued my designs with heart and soul and a sense of fun and whimsy. The fabric on the leaf was chosen because of its durability and it held its edge and pleat well, the style because it is very user friendly.
Imagine my horror to find, on receiving the fans, that neither the design or fabric has worked well with part of the manufacturing process that I was unaware of at the time.
I have personally inspected every fan (3000) and found some designs fared better than others but with some only as little as 8 of a run of 250 I would consider saleable.
The manufacturers have assured me they will not sell my designs to other people and if I should do another run of any of the designs I will make changes to them.
As I have read that a collectable can be "anything that wasn't meant to be and is", I am considering selling a couple of sets of all 13 designs to collectors.
They are unique, durable, dateable and very limited edition.
Maybe I am taking the old saying that "when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade" too far and would greatly appreciate your comments and advice.
Kind regards,
Janis
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/17/2013
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

First of all, congrats to you for working so hard on the design as well as manufacturing and reviewing all of your finished product.

I would think that your marketing skills can have these fans listed as collectable as I am sure they will not be reproduced again as an error by whoever manufacturer's your fans in the future.

What I thought would be helpful to you is research associations that you can review on additional items on the collection of hand fans and what type of market is out there. Also connect with members on selling your fans as the membership would be a direct connection for sales.Here are a few for you to use:

1. Fan Assoc of North America: http://www.fanassociation.org/

2. Fan Circle International: http://www.fancircleinternational.org/

3. ETSY is something for you to check out as I feel it would be a great place to sell the fans http://www.etsy.com/search/vintage/collectibles?includes%5B0%5D=tags&q=hand+fans

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. I understand it was rather an unusual question.

Fans have been my passion for over twenty years. I have purchased many from ebay and etsy and am well aware of what is available and of the different fan associations.

My designs are bold and different and I will continue to have more made but I hope I will be a little wiser next time.

I suppose I was more interested in the potential of those collectors who buy and trade in the rare and very limited edition items whatever they may be. The collector in me thinks I have such an item.

Only time will tell!!!

Thank you again for you time.

Regards,

Janis

I can understand that you might want to be in contact with a collector who can then see about the value of your fans. You may also want to contact those who are vintage clothing collectors. It seems that fans can be traded as cross-collection as they are valued by more than one listing of collections (history as well as clothing for example).

Following up with collectors in this field is still the way to go in terms of finding out value as well as interest:

http://www.oocities.org/handfans_online/orgs.htm
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Michael
Michael
Michael, Librarian