General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Hello, I am a U.S. Resident...where/how can I get medical insurance

coverage for international travel as...
Hello, I am a U.S. Resident...where/how can I get medical insurance coverage for international travel as well for when I am in the U.S?...I plan to travel abroad for about a year, but plan to visit my family in the U.S. for birthdays and holidays (two weeks at a time) I will likely be in the U.S. for a month out of the year...I want to make sure I have health insurance coverage all year...how can I get coverage at minimal cost?...thanks for your help!
1/14/2013
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

I have assisted in this type of question before on this site so let me offer you some good reading suggestions I gave another customer on this very topic.

First thing is to ask your current provider about whether your policy covers you while traveling abroad. Also access your needs before seeking supplemental traveler’s medical coverage.

The U.S. Department of State maintains a list of reputable companies that offer traveler’s medical insurance on its website:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1470.html

Those who travel have informed me that they use the services of http://www.insuremytrip.com/. They are a online broker which sells coverage from 21 carriers, including CSA Travel Protection, MedJet Assist, and Travelex.

For insurance for both international and in the US, best bet would be to review costs that are in the study done by Consumer Reports:

http://www.consumerreports.org/health/insurance/health-insurance.htm

You can then check with medical insurance services on a plan that can work for you and also can take with you outside the US.

Michael
Michael, Librarian
Michael
Michael
Michael, Librarian