SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

What common substances, liquid or solid can be added to water

What common substances, liquid or solid can be added to water to increase its surface tension?

educatortech :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help on this question today.

educatortech :

You are asking about "common substances" which I take to mean more household items.

educatortech :

In science classes, the most common substance added to water to increase surface tension would be soap (whether in liquid or solid form).

educatortech :

This would be more measurable as compared to other items like salt (NACl), for instance, which would also have some minor increase in surface tension.

educatortech :

What is important is that it would have to be a surfacant (something that does not readily dissolve in water) - soap is an example of that - soap does not really dissolve and collects at the top of the water which increases the surface tension.

educatortech :

If you need further followup on this , just click on Reply to Expert.

educatortech :
Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself.
Customer:

I haven't received any answer so how can I rate expert!!!

Based on your question after my post, I am assuming that you were not able to see the chat responses.

Below is what I had sent you in regards XXXXX XXXXX question.

What is important is that it would have to be a surfactant (something that does not readily dissolve in water) - soap is an example of that - soap does not really dissolve and collects at the top of the water which increases the surface tension.

:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you able to indentify STRONG surfactants and I will be happy to rate you excellent as I hadn't thought of them before.

The most common surfactants you will find will probably be Sodium laureth sulfate and Sodium dodecyl sulfate which are common hygiene and cleaning based products shampoos, soaps, some toothpastes. These are anionic surfactants, which in simple terms carry a small negative charge - the charge as far as basic functions means little.

For non-ionic surfactants(meaning no charge) you will commonly see cetyl alcohol, Cocoamide and its variants(a derivate of coconut oil) as well as polysorbate 80 and polysorbate 20, which are very commonly actually found in food. They tend to help emulsify certain things and allow for better blending.

If you wanted something simple, simply add a polar substance, like potassium chloride(found in "NuSalt" and other water softening products), table salt. YOu can also increase surface tension by simply lowering the temperature of water.

Hope this helps.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist