General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I have a Royal Doulton vase that has an art nouveau floral

design. It is about 8...
I have a Royal Doulton vase that has an art nouveau floral design. It is about 8 inches high with what looks to be gold pain. It is irredescent and is also marked with the makers mark. Do you know what the value could be?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2013
Nora
Nora, Internet Researcher
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA, USPAP & ISA Compliant through 2019
Hi There~

Welcome to justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help with your question.

I would be happy to help you with your Royal Doulton vase.

In order to get to your final answer and value, I will need some further information about your piece. This will not cost you extra.

How tall is it?

~and~

Would it be possible for you to send me photos? A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.

When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.

The most successful method for sharing pictures is this:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

~Nora

http://imgur.com/D30As

http://i.imgur.com/D30As.jpg

Unfortunately I cant get the picture of the mark downloaded. See if this helps. Thank you!

Also it is 9 1/2 inches in height and 7 inches in width at bottom base

Hi Kate,

That is quite a fantastic Art Nouveau vase.

I would really need to see or know the mark to narrow this down. Can you describe it to me and are there any initials or signatures around the body or on the base?

~Nora

It is a blue marking that has a crown over a D

Any numbers impressed or printed on there as well. Any words, like Royal Doulton. just Doulton, Lambeth? Is there a lion over the crown? ~Nora

Here is the link for the bottom of the vase looks like a 96

http://i.imgur.com/WIeSn.jpg

Thank you for the image. Ok. This is most definitely not a Royal Doulton vase. It is a German or Bohemian maker, and I do recognize the mark. Please allow me the time to go through my database of maker marks notes and I will get you the correct information and valuation as I gather the information together for you.

Sincerely,

Nora
Hi Kate,

Thank you for your patience.

You have a very fine amphora shaped German Dresden fine Art Nouveau porcelain vase with exceptional glazing done to emulate a tiffany glass or Loetz glass vase. The cross-over is fantastic, and would take quite an artisan.

The D with 3 prong crown is for Leopold Elb and W.E. Stephan when they took it over from Helena Wolsohn, who founded it in 1843 with wares in the Meissen style.

There is quite history of the ownership.

http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/saxony/dresden_2/00.php

I believe your piece was made when Leopold Elb was the sole owner from 1893 – 1906. I found one near match, with same glaze, honeycomb and enamel floral decoration, which I believe it is the edelweiss flower. That one was in a more simplified Japanes shape and smaller and it sold for $350. The biomorphic shape of yours is fantastic and I believe yours would sells at auction for a $650 - $900 estimate with potential to exceed such. Insurance value for replacement, $2000.

Here is where you verify the match to your maker mark:

http://www.figurines-sculpture.com/query-about-my-different-cursive-d-pottery-mark.html

The gold mark is what is called an ‘overmark’ made to conceal the country of origin for pieces imported to the US which was enacted by the MicKinley Tariff in 1891.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Feel free if you have further questions on your fine Art Nouveau vase.

Sincerely,

~Nora
Nora
Nora, Internet Researcher

Thank you so much Nora! You have been so helpful and it is greatly appreciated. You have given me faith and encouragement to continue with this program and I hope that the two of us can continue a business relationship! You're truly wonderful and I wish you a wonderful week!

Kate

Thank you so much Kate, that is really kind of you.

When you decide to post more items, you can request me by name in the beginning of your posting, i.e. "For Nora".

I look forward to seeing what other items you have.

Sincerely,

Nora
Nora
Nora, Internet Researcher